Tuesday, February 17, 2009

We all fear what we don't know... and other fun lyrics!


And your song for tonight... A Dustland Fairytale by The Killers.

Its been stuck in my head for a better part of a week, but I'm sure that's due to the fact that every time I get in my car I punch the forward button until it reads "5".

I can't tell you what it's about.  I read somewhere it's about Brandon Flower's parents meeting and his mom having cancer.  I just know that it's one of those songs that flows right... if that makes any sense... 

It's funny.  I love rock music - and by that I mean classic and most of the smaller genres that fall underneath it, like punk and heavier music.  
I adore bands like Rancid (you don't even want me to start on Rancid... I used to have small cut out pictures of them hidden all around my apartment so I could gaze upon them whenever I wanted too...) or Black Flag, NOFX, Ramone's, Patty Smith and on and on in the punk genre.  Then for straight rock The Who and The Stones are WAY up there... funny enough when I was pregnant I had to listen to the Stones.  I made my husband go out and buy a comp of theirs just for me to listen too on repeat.  I haven't listened to it once since my boy was born, even though 19th Nervous Breakdown is one of my favorite songs.
I tend to revel in that area.  Hell, I've been in two punk bands and a rock band, written screaming lyrics, grabbed body parts on stage as I yelled into a microphone... but then, when I want to sing to myself... The Killers, Rilo Kiley, Fiona Apple, Prince... but if I put one of their discs in, meaning Rancid (especially Rancid) I'll never take them back out.  I'll find the longest way to drive the 8 block from work to home so I can sing every word to every song... but right now - 

"Saw Cinderella in a party dress, but she was looking for a night gown..."  The Dustland Fairytale

I find if I can do things hypocritically I can do them well.  
Maybe diversely is a better way to explain it...
I probably is.

All this time on my hands... I'm torn any more.

I find myself thinking about different things these days.  Movies.  Music.  Every damn special on the history channel that I watch (and the military history channel and national geographic channel and now... NASA... they have their OWN channel... effin love it)  

Anyone know what happened to Mail Call?

My movie count for the week (and it's only Tuesday) is 3 1/2
I watched the Visitor (which I think I mentioned) then Factory Girl, Becoming Jane and I'm half way through Goya's Ghost...

The Visitor was awesome.  I like a good movie that makes me think (cuz I never do that) but when the writing is good, so good that one line can make you go - "Christ, he's right!" that is a good movie.

Factory Girl was also good.  It reaffirmed my minor dislike of Andy Warhol (adding another notch to my anti-American way belt.  I'll bring up the Beatles on another night) But Andy Warhol... I always had an issue.  It's kinda like the movie The Graduate.  It is a good movie, but then, when you sit back and think that here is this story about a 20 something kid banging another woman and all the woes attached to it and stand back and realize that 1,000s upon 1,000s of US soldiers were being killed in Vietnam at the time... well, it kinda pisses me off... and that is how I felt about Andy Warhol.  Yes.  He's an Icon (Roy Lichtenstein did it better), but when there was a war going on and the civil right movement - the Watts Riots for the love of god and he was in his "Factory" making frivolous films about nothing... blah, blah, blah... 
Anyway - Factory Girl - it's a good movie if you want to take a look see.  Plus, if you have a thing for Sienna Miller - she gets mighty naked.  (you're welcome) And if you're from my generation - she's also playing Baroness in the up coming G.I. Joe movie so that would mean you get to see Baroness naked (kinda)

Becoming Jane is a chick flick in the strictest sense of the meaning.  If you're a fan of the period pieces or have a hard-on for Jane Austen.  It's good.  (If you think James McAvoy is hot - see it) if you hate chick flicks, think Ann Hathaway should have stopped after Princess Diaries and can't seem to get past James McAvoy in Wanted or if you hate the Austen... you're gonna wanna pass...

I'll get back to you on Goya's Ghost.  Right now I'm finding Javier Bardem to be creepy (kinda like in No Country for Old Men - but even worse because he's a Cardinal in the Catholic church)
Why do I have a crush on him?
Probably the soccer thing... 

So I guess that's where I'm at today.  
Movies.
Did the 4 month check up on my boy.  He's the average weight of a 7 month old and the average height of a one year old - once again, he's 4 months.

"And the decades disappear like sinking ships, we preserver, god gives us hope, but we still fear what we don't know..." 

I have a documentary on the Mongols to watch and need to finish Goya's Ghost... then I should go to bed.  I'll probably have to pick one or the other... or I could just stay awake.

I don't feel much like talking about me
or food
or whatever else I tend to dwell on...

Oh, I do have ONE fun tid bit... wanna know what happens when your ex-spouse just HAS to have your house in the divorce settlement, and then doesn't take your name off the mortgage and then becomes delinquent on the payments on the house?

ANSWER: 5'4" dark haired chick shows up to Kinko's in River with a copy of said divorce papers and a whole slew of cuss words! (oh and with her lawyer on speed dial)  That's what my Friday looks like!  What about yours?
(HA! Married twice... anyone gotta set of steak knives they wanna sell me? Naw... I like this one... he's not a tool)

"Now Cinderella don't you go to sleep, it's such a bitter form of refuge.
Oh don't you know the kingdoms under siege, and everybody needs you.
Is there still magic in the midnight sun, or did you leave it back in '61
In the cadence of a young man's eyes
I wouldn't dream so high..."

~The Killers #5 "The Dustland Fairtale" 

So, have a deliciously awesome night
Get frisky with the one you love (I did... and now I'm online...)
I'm going to go have a cup of coffee, cuz that's the logical thing to do 2 hours before you go to bed!

Sweet dreams... 

-XXOO

2 comments:

  1. You and me and coffee and 11:00 PM...We have a problem....Should I include a detailed description of your ex? Now that everyone knows where he works...

    Ann hathoway is HOT...Did you see her in Havoc, being a wanna be whore...I love that dirty little...Gotta go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny enough, after the Sienna Miller comment I almost commented on Havoc, she also gets naked in Brokeback... and the fact that you can see Natalie Portman's body profile in both Goya's Ghost and in a short Wes Anderson did for Darjeeling Limits. But honestly, both those are a bit creepy - especially Goya's Ghost.

    Yes, my husband has trained me well.

    I sometimes forget you knew him, the ex... what was I thinking? Oh, that's right. I wasn't. Silly stupid 24 year old me...

    And coffee is god! I need more..

    ReplyDelete