Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sometimes people ask stupid questions and I'm here to tell you, no, it's not ok.



I came on here to specifically discuss my love for too much sci/fi television but in my trek to the old computer my phone went off - it was a text from my hubby. Turns out that his brother wants him to babysit tomorrow.

Now - you may think that's not a bad thing. I mean, it's our niece and nephew, but here's the story.

My bro-in-law is having "issues" in his life with his wife. As of now they live in two different places and have a plan all lined up for their kids. It's as follows:

She does WHAT she wants WHEN she wants and he follows her around like that guy at the end of the parade with the broom and the poop scoop. And when things get super sticky - he calls us to pick up the mess. It's a very healthy decision that, by NO MEANS, sends mix messages to their two children who say things to me like, "Daddy didn't brush my hair today!" or my fav when they were still living together, "Daddy sleeps in the basement! Does my Uncle sleep in the basement?"

No, I like your Uncle, so he sleeps next to me. (Excluding when he snores, then he can sleep in Argentina for all I care.)

Once, after a few beers, I decided that I was going to "help out." (Which is code for "stick my nose where it doesn't belong so someone else's mess bleeds all over my life and leaves me in such discontent I can't tell where their crap ends and my crap begins.") And it ended just as you may think it would have. He started on the ever so obligatory, "I'm staying for the kids."

No. You're staying because you can't see yourself dating after this many years and I understand. Yes, the decade may have moved 10 years into the 21st century, but everything for you seems to be more wrapped around the year Cobain died...

Crass.

So the baby sitting request...

The other part that I'm leaving out is that the Mom is sitting at home doing nothing, or hanging out with her parents. (she's in her late 30's - not that it's a bad thing to hang with your parents but they're her only friends... not joking even a little.) She's teaching her husband a lesson. What lesson? The only lesson I'm getting out of it is, "When things don't go my way I'm going to act like a spoiled brat until you do what I tell you too because at the end of the day the only person that really matters is me. ME!!! ME!!!! Not our kids and sure as hell not you..."

So to me what is being asked is, "Bro, is it cool for you to watch my kids because I'm too much of a pansy to stand up to the woman I no longer want to be with?"

See, I just don't have tolerance for this sort of behavior. I think life is rather simple. Listen to your gut. Say what you mean, mean what you say. And when you're in a relationship and in your 30's act like an adult, not like you're in middle school.

Come on people... I could be watching bad TV right now, but no. You're sucking the life out of me with stupid requests.

2 comments:

  1. So sad for the kids. The part about "why does Daddy sleep in the basement?" breaks my heart.

    Another side of this...if your hubby rescues too much, I wonder if the kids might develop too much of an attachment to him/view him as too much of a father figure. Just a thought.

    A question if I may be so bold...is the family pic an actual pic of your brother-in-law's family? Again, if I may be so bold, you may really regret that later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be bold! But its not them. I just found a pic on the internet that made me laugh.

    The hubby rescue would be great. I'd take those kids in a minute, but its not that easy. We've tried to "be there" but we tend to turn into the "bad guys." So we've been taking steps back. It's sad, and hard, but such is life I suppose...

    ReplyDelete