Wednesday, March 31, 2010

BY GOD! SHE'S GOT IT! (is what I wanted to say to the woman who fixed my back)


It's been DAYS since I've written on here... that's just crazy...

My lord, a year ago I would have posted two or three times in one day. Now... I make you wait. (Here's hoping its worth the wait...)

If you know me you may know that I've had back problems for about 2.5 million years. That is to say, I hardly remember a time of my life that didn't involve either large quantities of ibuprofen or naproxen. There was a time that when everyone else was taking their two Aleve a day I was taking two every four hours just to make it through the day.

I even needed help to go to the bathroom because the pain was so intense that I couldn't stand from a sitting position on my own. This is the dream life of many 20 years olds. Yes! It! Is!

These pills that give us relief are like birth control for the nervous system. Just like birth control tell your body that you're already pregnant so it doesn't go through the month cycle, pain pill pull a jedi mind trick on your nervous system, "You feel no pain. These are not the impulses you're looking for."

In the end nothing changes because you're masking the problem - not fixing it.

That's when I found my dear beloved yoga. It helped me walk again (this you all know mostly because I never shut up about it. But how can I? It's made me so damn happy!)
BUT the years of abuse to my body (i.e. car accidents, falls, stupidity) had taken their tole on me and I've been crooked for a long, long time.

Meaning my actual skeletool frame.

My left his was 1" higher than my right. There's a curve in my spine, my ribs are twisted, my rang of motion limited due to all of these wonderful things. So I went to a doctor. They said, "What do you want me to do? You're crooked. Some people are crooked."

Sound advice from someone that makes six figures.

Now it's many years later and I've taken the teacher training and yoga life fast lane and I met this wonderful woman who taught me anatomy. I've never met anyone as passionate as her about what she does - you think I talk a lot about yoga... you have no idea. But honestly, it's contagious I really want to learn more about anatomy.

We all should. It's your body for the love of pete. If you buy a car you learn how to do more than just put gas in it, right? (and if you don't you should)

Now, I know I have a lot of work a head of me. Years of being crooked means years of bad habits from how I stand to how I pouch out my belly, but my hips are even for the first time in about twenty years, and my spine... it feels amazing.

Worth every dollar and I go back for my third visit in a week.
I can't wait.

I feel normal.
I never feel normal. Let me tell you... it's a very good feeling.

2 comments: