Monday, May 31, 2010

National Vegetarian Week - BBQ Tofu & More Links!


Here is my Vegetarian Weeks Recipe List: (including links to past recipes!)

Monday:  Tortilla Roll-ups (- I've posted these before but they've always been a hit so I'm posting them again. If you plan on going online and googling Tortilla Roll-ups you won't find this recipe. I made this up one [very] drunken night years ago - it was an accident and a delicious one at that.)

TuesdayHotwing Potato Wedges (created for tailgating and because I feel I miss out on the finger licking fun of hotwings. This is a good alternative and it's delicious TA-boot)

WednesdayVegetarian/Vegan Pizza (people see the word "Vegan" and cringe at the idea of eating cardboard slathered in wallpaper paste. Don't be that guy... don't be that guy...)

ThursdaySalsa Bean Burgers with extra salsa sauce (I made this the other day and my husband loved it - the patties are big and filling, plus there was left overs so I had them for lunch for 2 days.)

FridaySalsa Avocado Dip (pretty much sums that up)

SaturdayBBQ Tofu with jasmine rice (once again - not brain surgery)

SundayThanksgiving Day Sheperd's Pie (There is nothing I love more than thanksgiving dinner. I make it at least 4+ times a year in different guises. This is one of my favs because I love shepard's pie and I love potpies and I love eating hearty meals. I apologize that its in the 80s this week.)



BBQ Tofu with Jasmine Rice

You will need:

1 Package of Extra Firm Tofu
1 Jar of BBQ Sauce (I LOVE Daddy's Sam's Bar-B-Que Sawce)
Jasmine Rice
oil for frying

a kitchen towel

Remove Tofu from packaging and pat dry. Take the Kitchen Towel (or cheese cloth or paper towel) and wrap it snugly around the tofu. Place wrapped tofu between to plates and weight it down with a book or something heavier on hand. *THE LONGER YOU PRESS THE TOFU THE FIRMER IT IS! A lot of recipes will tell you to press it for 15 minutes to an hour. I say press it for 12-24 hours. (**Note: The more liquid you press out the more it shrinks BUT the better it tastes and firmer it is, so it's worth it)

Warm about 2 TBSP of oil (of your choice. FYI "Vegetable" oil is 100% Soy, so if you're not looking to over kill yourself with soy use either Canola Oil, Peanut or even Olive. If using Olive Oil know it has a low burn temp so if you turn your burner on Med to Med-High and walk away for five minutes your house WILL fill with smoke. :) )

Remove Tofu (after lenghtly pressing) and cut into cubes. Brown in oil. Once the tofu is a nice golden brown pour about 1/4 of the BBQ sauce into the pan coating all the little delicious pieces of soy that you will shortly be consuming. Let the burner do it's thing for a minute then add a little more BBQ sauce. The sugars in the BBQ sauce will began to caramelize and you'll end up with this delicious stickly BBQ coating on the tofu. 

It's wonderful.

At the same time Add 2 1/2 cups water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add 1 cup Jasmine rice (or the rice of your choice. We're a fan of Jasmine in this house.) cook the rice per directions.

Fluff Rice - put on plate - top with BBQ Tofu - consume!

I also recommend freshly steam veggies with this dish. It's one of my favorites!
Enjoy!



New Links have been added so please take a moment to check them out!


(Links to what is in the above picture: Earthlings (documentary about animal cruelty put out by Joaquin Phoenix; Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: Awesome cookbook and here is the blogThe China Study: This book talks about nutrition and why we have heart disease and so much else wrong with us; Vegan Freak - book and blog, previously listed below; The Joy of Vegan Baking - direct and to the point!; Veganomicon - a book I want wicked bad!)


Vegetarian/ Vegan Resources:

If you are looking to become Vegan or Vegetarian and just don't know where to begin because its hard. (because it honestly is a hard thing to do - I've fallen off the wagon over the last 20 years, but I keep trying) Here is a link to a ton of resources that you can DOWNLOAD FOR FREE!!! And who doesn't like free?


MORE Reading!!

And finally here are some other sites you just cruise around and check out:

Don't know where to shop? You can go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes - both have lots of veggie friendly foods. Not by some place that has either of these stores? Farmers Markets!!! Too busy for the farmers Markets?

SHOP ONLINE!
We live in a day and age where we aren't hunters and gathers - we are shoppers and consumers. I understand why the Cherokee went hunting, but we have stores on every corner. There really is no reason for us to be consuming large quantities of meat. (And don't start giving me the "protein" argument. I will never agree with you. I was a vegetarian the entire time I was pregnant and my son was born strong and healthy, to the point it was a topic of conversation in the birthing room.)

It's easy and it's cheap to eat meat, but at what cost? It's effecting everything from global warming to your liver - so give it a go! Try my recipes, look up some other ones! One day a week say TO HELL with animal products! 


HAPPY BELATED NATIONAL VEGETARIAN WEEK!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment