Friday, May 28, 2010

National Vegetarian Week - computer malfunction

do to a computer malfunction my last 3 posts have been deleted... isn't that grand? So I apologize for the delay that will be attached to these last three recipes.

Some times things that are supposed to make your life easier do nothing but make your life even more difficult. That said, my abridges version of the post I spend a great deal of time putting together is this....

There are a lot of things that people need to know about meat and animal consumption in this world. First, it's not just that steak you're eating - there are animal parts being used in our cosmetics, shampoos & conditioners, cereal (frosted mini wheats for example, and many other items. (Like Value Times pancake mix that has beef fat in it... bisquick is vegan, btw) Most people don't know that different names given to these ingredients .  

Maybe you don't have the time or the inclination to join P.E.T.A. and start picketing slaughter houses, but you can start at home - you can start with you. Joining in the "Meatless Monday" movement is taking us one step closer to being ethical and a more caring society. What you put out there, you get back! It's just that simple. 

A fellow blogger friend of mine sent me this great article from Gourmet Magazine from 2004. The article was written by David Foster Wallace and was about the Maine Lobster Fest. What I found interesting was that it was, in fact, published in Gourmet Magazine. (and I give a kudos to them for publishing it)

Remember - slow and steady wins the race. One foot in front of the other - and having faith that it is important. All life is.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend! Please enjoy the salsa!



Here is my Vegetarian Weeks Recipe List: (including links to past recipes!)

Monday:  Tortilla Roll-ups (- I've posted these before but they've always been a hit so I'm posting them again. If you plan on going online and googling Tortilla Roll-ups you won't find this recipe. I made this up one [very] drunken night years ago - it was an accident and a delicious one at that.)

TuesdayHotwing Potato Wedges (created for tailgating and because I feel I miss out on the finger licking fun of hotwings. This is a good alternative and it's delicious TA-boot)

WednesdayVegetarian/Vegan Pizza (people see the word "Vegan" and cringe at the idea of eating cardboard slathered in wallpaper paste. Don't be that guy... don't be that guy...)

ThursdaySalsa Bean Burgers with extra salsa sauce (I made this the other day and my husband loved it - the patties are big and filling, plus there was left overs so I had them for lunch for 2 days.)

FridaySalsa Avocado Dip (pretty much sums that up)

SaturdayBBQ Tofu with jasmine rice (once again - not brain surgery)

SundayThanksgiving Day Sheperd's Pie (There is nothing I love more than thanksgiving dinner. I make it at least 4+ times a year in different guises. This is one of my favs because I love shepard's pie and I love potpies and I love eating hearty meals. I apologize that its in the 80s this week.)



Avocado Salsa

You will need:

1 Ripe Avocado
1/2 Jar of your favorite homemade or organic salsa

Cut Avocado into to, remove pit with your knife then smash with a fork. Add salsa and blend with the fork - now EAT!


This next section I plan on post all week long too! Plus I'm adding things too keep it fresh!
SHAZAM!


(Links to what is in the above picture: Earthlings (documentary about animal cruelty put out by Joaquin Phoenix; Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: Awesome cookbook and here is the blogThe China Study: This book talks about nutrition and why we have heart disease and so much else wrong with us; Vegan Freak - book and blog, previously listed below; The Joy of Vegan Baking - direct and to the point!; Veganomicon - a book I want wicked bad!)


Vegetarian/ Vegan Resources:

(Still very important!)
In Ohio we (being the fun state that we are) recently passed an issues known as Issue 2 this past November. In that issues we stripped the rights of these animals that are being factory farmed in our state. Yes, I know some people say "Whatever they're food" but like I said before you should really MIND what you put in your BODY. The conditions these animals are in is deplorable and this actually effects what we eat - what we consume - WHAT IS IN OUR BODIES. 

There is a man named Eddie Garza that relocated to Ohio from Texas to help us get the 600,000 signatures we need to get this put back on the bill. To help us help the animals and in turn help ourselves. They need people to get these signatures! They need YOU! 

Here is his information:
Eddie Garza
Texas Campaign Coordinator
Mercy For Animals
www.MercyForAnimals.org
214.609.4066 phone
614.559.6796 fax

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Lend a hand! The more people helping the better chance of something happening. This is important to us and to our children. Just get a hold of him, take a sheet to work - have people sign it. (legibly) 


If you are looking to become Vegan or Vegetarian and just don't know where to begin because its hard. (because it honestly is a hard thing to do - I've fallen off the wagon over the last 20 years, but I keep trying) Here is a link to a ton of resources that you can DOWNLOAD FOR FREE!!! And who doesn't like free?


MORE Reading!!

And finally here are some other sites you just cruise around and check out:

Don't know where to shop? You can go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes - both have lots of veggie friendly foods. Not by some place that has either of these stores? Farmers Markets!!! Too busy for the farmers Markets?

SHOP ONLINE!
We live in a day and age where we aren't hunters and gathers - we are shoppers and consumers. I understand why the Cherokee went hunting, but we have stores on every corner. There really is no reason for us to be consuming large quantities of meat. (And don't start giving me the "protein" argument. I will never agree with you. I was a vegetarian the entire time I was pregnant and my son was born strong and healthy, to the point it was a topic of conversation in the birthing room.)

It's easy and it's cheap to eat meat, but at what cost? It's effecting everything from global warming to your liver - so give it a go! Try my recipes, look up some other ones! One day a week say TO HELL with animal products! 


HAPPY NATIONAL VEGETARIAN WEEK!! 

3 comments:

  1. The one thing that sticks out to me about the DFW article is the fact that he wrote it for Gourmet Magazine. He wasn't writing for a PETA publication, but for a food industry magazine - it's a very ballsy move to say the least.

    Sorry you had a computer malfunction, those really do suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I liked most about it too. I liked that he was a reporter, a freelance reporter at that, and he was just honest about the whole situation. It was a great read. Thank you for passing it on!


    Yes, computer malfunctions stink to high hell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a blog about DFW a few days ago, and the text is a commencement speech he gave a few years ago - you should check it out, it's really deep stuff. I fell in love with his writing when I read "Consider the Lobster", and the more I find of his work, the more I enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete