Tuesday, May 25, 2010

National Vegetarian Week! ~Day 2~

In honor of National Vegetarian Week. I've decided to post a weeks of my favorite vegetarian recipes that I make on a regular basis. I started yesterday with my Tortilla Roll-ups and today I'm moving on to Hotwing Potato Wedges! 





Here is my Vegetarian Weeks Recipe List: (including links to past recipes!)

Monday:  Tortilla Roll-ups (- I've posted these before but they've always been a hit so I'm posting them again. If you plan on going online and googling Tortilla Roll-ups you won't find this recipe. I made this up one [very] drunken night years ago - it was an accident and a delicious one at that.)

TuesdayHotwing Potato Wedges (created for tailgating and because I feel I miss out on the finger licking fun of hotwings. This is a good alternative and it's delicious TA-boot)

WednesdayVegetarian/Vegan Pizza (people see the word "Vegan" and cringe at the idea of eating cardboard slathered in wallpaper paste. Don't be that guy... don't be that guy...)

ThursdaySalsa Bean Burgers with extra salsa sauce (I made this the other day and my husband loved it - the patties are big and filling, plus there was left overs so I had them for lunch for 2 days.)

FridaySalsa Avocado Dip (pretty much sums that up)

SaturdayBBQ Tofu with jasmine rice (once again - not brain surgery)

SundayThanksgiving Day Sheperd's Pie (There is nothing I love more than thanksgiving dinner. I make it at least 4+ times a year in different guises. This is one of my favs because I love shepard's pie and I love potpies and I love eating hearty meals. I apologize that its in the 80s this week.)





Hotwing Potato Wedges

This image is not a good representation of my potato wedges, but I don't have an image so I just borrowed this one from the internet. In reality your potatoes will be the color of hotsauce when you're done. So expect something bright!

1 - 1lb bag of red skin potatoes. (I like these because of the size. They're easy to chop up into finger picking wedges.)

1- 12oz bottle of hot sauce - (I like the Louisiana Hot Sauce. It tastes great and you only need 1/2 the bottle for coating and you can use the other 1/2 for later or dipping.)

1/2 cup butter alternative like Earth Balance

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp sugar (I use Florida Crystals Organic Sugar because refined white sugar is terribly BAD for you plus some of it is "purified" with the use of bone char - animal bones... ick)

salt & pepper

Dipping Sauce: (a.k.a. Vegan Ranch*)

1 cup vegan mayo (I know what you're thinking but I've only been a vegan since January 2010 and I was a big old fan of Hellman's. Just put it on a spoon and yummy!! So I switched Vegenaise. This stuff is AWESOME! I use it as the base of all my dressing and condiments I make. It's low fat and tastes delicious. Plus! ANIMAL FRIENDLY!)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt. You want powder so you can control the salt intake of your dishes)

1/2 teaspoon onion powder (Once again - NOT onion SALT.)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley

1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk

[*This recipe is courtesy of Recipezaar.com - it's a good base. I like to jazz it up with basil and oregano and I never measure anything because it takes too long.]

OK - for the potatoes! Cut them into wedges, you'll want them to be all about the same size so things cook at the same time.

Boil the wedges in salty water. Wait till the water is at a roiling boil then toss the potatoes in. Give'em a stir and then let them go for about 5 minutes. (mind the temp or you'll have potato starch water everywhere.)

In a frying pan put in the butter and oil - let that bad boy heat up. (but not smoke)
Drain the potatoes removing the excess water then toss them into the hot frying pan. HERE'S THE TRICK, you want them nice and crispy on all sides BEFORE you add the hot sauce or you'll have soggy potato wedges.

Once they're golden brown pour in 1/2 bottle of the Louisiana Hot Sauce and turn down the heat a touch. Using a wooden spoon, be sure to coat all of the potatoes and then sprinkle the sugar over the lot of them. Stir again.

Lower the temp even more and cover so you can get this awesome caramelizing affect. If you need to add more hot sauce - have at it!




This next section I plan on post all week long too! Plus I'm adding things too keep it fresh!
SHAZAM!

Vegetarian/ Vegan Resources:

In Ohio we (being the fun state that we are) recently passed an issues known as Issue 2 this past November. In that issues we stripped the rights of these animals that are being factory farmed in our state. Yes, I know some people say "Whatever they're food" but like I said before you should really MIND what you put in your BODY. The conditions these animals are in is deplorable and this actually effects what we eat - what we consume - WHAT IS IN OUR BODIES. 

There is a man named Eddie Garza that relocated to Ohio from Texas to help us get the 600,000 signatures we need to get this put back on the bill. To help us help the animals and in turn help ourselves. They need people to get these signatures! They need YOU! 

Here is his information:
Eddie Garza
Texas Campaign Coordinator
Mercy For Animals
www.MercyForAnimals.org
214.609.4066 phone
614.559.6796 fax

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Lend a hand! The more people helping the better chance of something happening. This is important to us and to our children. Just get a hold of him, take a sheet to work - have people sign it. (legibly) 


If you are looking to become Vegan or Vegetarian and just don't know where to begin because its hard. (because it honestly is a hard thing to do - I've fallen off the wagon over the last 20 years, but I keep trying) Here is a link to a ton of resources that you can DOWNLOAD FOR FREE!!! And who doesn't like free?

MORE Reading!!


And finally here are some other sites you just cruise around and check out:


Don't know where to shop? You can go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes - both have lots of veggie friendly foods. Not by some place that has either of these stores? Farmers Markets!!! Too busy for the farmers Markets?

SHOP ONLINE!
We live in a day and age where we aren't hunters and gathers - we are shoppers and consumers. I understand why the Cherokee went hunting, but we have stores on every corner. There really is no reason for us to be consuming large quantities of meat. (And don't start giving me the "protein" argument. I will never agree with you. I was a vegetarian the entire time I was pregnant and my son was born strong and healthy, to the point it was a topic of conversation in the birthing room.)

It's easy and it's cheap to eat meat, but at what cost? It's effecting everything from global warming to your liver - so give it a go! Try my recipes, look up some other ones! One day a week say TO HELL with animal products! 


HAPPY NATIONAL VEGETARIAN WEEK!! NOW GO EAT SOME FRUIT!

2 comments:

  1. Those sound delicious. As a huge fan of spicy food, I will have to try this.

    (On a side note: one of the things I hate most about cooking is the occasional time(s) I leave a pot of potatoes unattended too long and get starch water all over the place - not fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I moved into an apartment after my divorce and the place had an electric stove. I had never used one in all my life and proceeded to burn every pot that I had... lol! It was the worse! I spent most of my time at the store buying cheap sets of "college" pots and pans.

    I still have one. The damn this is terrible! lol

    ReplyDelete