Monday, May 24, 2010

National Vegetarian Week!

I just found out that this week (starting today) is National Vegetarian Week. This is very exciting to me because this is rather important to me!

"National Vegetarian Week (NVW) is the annual awareness-raising campaign promoting inspirational vegetarian food and the benefits of a meat-free lifestyle. Celebrated by the Vegetarian Society since 1992, the Week is now an established event that gets bigger and better every year." 

I'm a big old fan of the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, so for these next 7 days I'm going to post some of my favorite recipes I make for the husband on here "Weekly Adventure of an Ordinary Girl."

Now, if you're not looking to go vegetarian - that's fine - I'm not here to get all preachy, but I would like you to know that if you're not willing to go the whole nine yards, there is another initiative - "*Meatless Mondays" that I think may work for you. [*note the Meatless Mondays link is a Washington Post article about the hub bub." Other sites include their Facebook Fan Page & their actual Website.]

Why?

Because eating animals actually isn't that good for you. Fine, you're not looking to follow in the footsteps with the Highlander and live forever, but wouldn't it be nice NOT to be hooked up to some machine in the last few months of your life? (seriously, it's your body - be mindful of it.)

So here I am - currently humming "Princes of the Universe" by Queen (which would be the 'who waaaantss to livvvveeeee foreverrrrrrrr!' Highlander song.) With a list of delicious recipes for your consumption.

Here is my Vegetarian Weeks Recipe List:

Monday:  Tortilla Roll-ups (<- I've posted these before but they've always been a hit so I'm posting them again. If you plan on going online and googling Tortilla Roll-ups you won't find this recipe. I made this up one [very] drunken night years ago - it was an accident and a delicious one at that.)

Tuesday: Hotwing Potato Wedges (created for tailgating and because I feel I miss out on the finger licking fun of hotwings. This is a good alternative and it's delicious TA-boot)

Wednesday: Vegetarian/Vegan Pizza (people see the word "Vegan" and cringe at the idea of eating cardboard slathered in wallpaper paste. Don't be that guy... don't be that guy...)

Thursday: Salsa Bean Burgers with extra salsa sauce (I made this the other day and my husband loved it - the patties are big and filling, plus there was left overs so I had them for lunch for 2 days.)

Friday: Salsa Avocado Dip (pretty much sums that up)

Saturday: BBQ Tofu with jasmine rice (once again - not brain surgery)

Sunday: Thanksgiving Day Sheperd's Pie (There is nothing I love more than thanksgiving dinner. I make it at least 4+ times a year in different guises. This is one of my favs because I love shepard's pie and I love potpies and I love eating hearty meals. I apologize that its in the 80s this week.)


Isn't he cute?


Getting started!:


Aryn's Tortilla's Roll-ups

The story goes like this. One (very) drunken night my husband and I started craving Max and Erma's blackbean roll-ups. But I didn't have black bean in the house. I had a pile of other stuff. The following recipe is a refined version of the original (that literally had nearly everything in my house in it), please enjoy.

1 8oz package of cream cheese (1 package "Better than Cream Cheese" by tofutti)
1 package of 4 cheese mexican blend shredded cheese (daiya cheese is an amazing sub!)
1 package of taco seasoning of choice. (I've been making my own lately. This recipe is a good one.)
1 roasted red pepper chopped up into little bits 
1 small call of diced black olives
Salt & pepper to taste
1 package of tortilla's of choice (or you could make your own)

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature (or it'll be a pain in the old but to blend everything) then fold in the cheese and all the other ingredients. If you can let it sit over night - let it sit over night. This tastes better the longer the flavors blend together.

Spread it out on the tortilla, roll it up, cut it into little pinwheels - then thank me later. 

I've made this for all sorts of events. It has gotten to the point that I just hand out the recipe because I'm tired of making them (and I'm not even kidding a little bit). I also like to add some red pepper from time to time for some heat - very delicious!

This next section I plan on post all week long too!

Vegetarian/ Vegan Resources:

In Ohio we (being the fun state that we are) recently passed an issues known as Issue 2 this past November. In that issues we stripped the rights of these animals that are being factory farmed in our state. Yes, I know some people say "Whatever they're food" but like I said before you should really MIND what you put in your BODY. The conditions these animals are in is deplorable and this actually effects what we eat - what we consume - WHAT IS IN OUR BODIES. 

There is a man named Eddie Garza that relocated to Ohio from Texas to help us get the 600,000 signatures we need to get this put back on the bill. To help us help the animals and in turn help ourselves. They need people to get these signatures! They need YOU! 

Here is his information:
Eddie Garza
Texas Campaign Coordinator
Mercy For Animals
www.MercyForAnimals.org
214.609.4066 phone
614.559.6796 fax

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Lend a hand! The more people helping the better chance of something happening. This is important to us and to our children. Just get a hold of him, take a sheet to work - have people sign it. (legibly) 


If you are looking to become Vegan or Vegetarian and just don't know where to begin because its hard. (because it honestly is a hard thing to do - I've fallen off the wagon over the last 20 years, but I keep trying) Here is a link to a ton of resources that you can DOWNLOAD FOR FREE!!! And who doesn't like free? 


And finally here are some other sites you just cruise around and check out:


Don't know where to shop? You can go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes - both have lots of veggie friendly foods. Not by some place that has either of these stores? Farmers Markets!!! Too busy for the farmers Markets?

SHOP ONLINE!
We live in a day and age where we aren't hunters and gathers - we are shoppers and consumers. I understand why the Cherokee went hunting, but we have stores on every corner. There really is no reason for us to be consuming large quantities of meat. (and don't start giving me the "protein" argument. I will never agree with you.)

It's easy and it's cheap to eat meat, but at what cost? It's effecting everything from global warming to your liver - so give it a go! Try my recipes, look up some other ones! One day a week say TO HELL with animal products! 


HAPPY NATIONAL VEGETARIAN WEEK!! NOW GO EAT SOME FRUIT!

2 comments:

  1. The roll-ups look great. My wife makes something similar for parties and what-not, but she only uses cream cheese and taco seasoning - I will have to let her know of this recipe so she can make them and I can enjoy them even more.

    I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but it is nice to see the benefits of the diet provided in a non-preachy way. Most of the time I turn away from vegetarians/vegans because they get the "I'm better than you because I don't eat meat" attitude, so thank you for not being that way. I can respect your opinion on the matter because you present it in a respectable way, and if anyone could convince me to go vegetarian/vegan it would probably be you (but I doubt it - I really really love meat, lol.)

    Even though I'm not a vegetarian, I must say I have become more health conscious lately (grilling/baking instead of frying, etc.) - and I do eat more fruits and vegetables than I used to, so it's a start I guess, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... I'm no better than anyone else! I'm just trying to get by! LOL! I'll admit my concerns turn towards animal but over all, its just not good for you. Thats why I keep saying "mind your body" - it's just like your state of mind. What you put into it you get out!

    Shop local. Shop smart.

    One of my really good friends has so many allergies she can't be a vegetarian - she wouldn't be able to eat. She buys her meat from a local farmer that she knows treats his animals well.

    No, it's not for me, but at least she's smart about what she's doing. Knows where the animal is from and what the animal is fed.

    I'm glad you're eating more fruits and veggies! That's why I love summer - lots of fresh fruits and veggies! Plus you've gotta start somewhere.

    You only fail when you quit! :)

    Hope your wife likes the recipe! More tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete