Thursday, June 24, 2010

Gossip

Gossip.
We've all done it.
Some of us build our lives on it.
In general I hate it.

I chose the above picture because it was the only one I could find (not that I look super hard) that had both a man and a woman, because in my life, I know more men that gossip than woman.

It is what it is.

But this is me barking at the crowd for tonight. I think when you get to a point in your life when the only thing you have to talk about is someone else's life you should really take a moment to sit down and look at your own. Obviously you don't have much going on to have that kind of spare time.

Gossip.

It seems harmless but let's be honest, if you have to say something in a hushed tone because you're afraid someone may hear what you're saying - you probably shouldn't be saying it in the first place. People's lives, especially when they're in a spot that is going to hell in a hand basket lite on fire, are their own and the last thing they need is to show up somewhere and hear people whisper and point.

I've been trying to stay out of gossip. Most days I'm good. Some days I'm not and then I feel terrible for the rest of the night because what if it was me who was being discussed. Because it has been me before. Rumors and lies build up on gossip about things no one could possibly have understood.

So the next time someone passes you a juicy tidbit stop for a moment and put yourself in their shoes, or if that doesn't work, put someone you love in their shoes and then be the bigger person that doesn't pass it on. And, by the way, that applies to the "I can tell my spouse" rule. Because it doesn't change what it is, it's still gossip.

And I'm pretty darn sure you can find better things to do with your spouse when you two are alone in your bedroom at night. And if not, maybe that's the real problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment