Monday, June 21, 2010

Meatless Monday, Oil Spill news, & some things that just erk me!

Welcome to my next edition of Meatless Mondays here on "Weekly Adventures of an Ordinary Girl."

[If you follow this here link it will take you to the actual Meatless Monday website! **Note: The views I hold and the topics I discuss are solely mine and mine alone and shouldn't be reflected on anyone else, like the people on Meatlessmonday.com.**]

Starting the week off with no meat is just the way to go!

"But I love meat!" That is great. I'm not sitting here judging you. You may think I am, but alas - I judge you, you judge me and then everyone hates everyone - which is a waste of time.
All I'm saying it take ONE DAY - no need to make it Monday, I mean, Mondays stink in general, but maybe you're is Meatless Tuesday or Wednesday, I think you get the picture. Because ONE day a week laying off animal products is actually good for YOU. Good for your heart and your over all health.

Besides the things we know, "red meat is bad for my heart" there are also some recent studies that have found a possible link between the prion proteins (which are found in Mad Cow disease) and the onset of Alzheimer's Disease.

So if you're not one of those people who want to look at it from the animals point of view, fine, look at your husband, wife, girl/boyfriend, lover, child, mother/father, neighbor, friend and then look in the mirror and ask yourself this... am I worth it? Because I think you probably are.

The recipe I chose for today is an Ethiopian Spicy Tomato Lentil Stew that should look a little like this:

(a.k.a. - DElicious!)

(The following Recipe was found on the Post Punk Kitchen website - www.theppk.com)

Equipment:
Large heavey soup pot
Another pot with lid for boiling the lentils

Ingredients
1 cup brown lentils
1 large yellow onion, diced small
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, miced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
1/4 cup peanut oil (vegetable oil will do)
10 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water + 2 veg boullion cubes
1 cup frozen green peas

Spice Blend:
2 tsp ground cumin
2 teaspoons hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground cardomom
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)

Directions
Boil the lentils for about 45 minutes or until tender.

In a large pot, over med heat saute the onions and carrots for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and spice blend. Saute 5 more minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, cook 5 more minutes. Add tomato paste and mix, then add the water. Simmer Until bubbling. Add the cooked lentils and green peas, simmer 15 more minutes.


Bet you'll never guess what I'm having for dinner... ;)

If you are at all interested in the "Green Movement" or Learning more about becoming Vegetarian or Vegan here are some likes for you:

  • Green Mom's Carnival - Talk about her time turning green and advocating an organic lifestyle. 
  • Vegan Show and Tell - this blog is pretty rad. You should see it on my blogroll, because once I found her I decided I just needed to keep reading. The blog is dedicated to the lifestyle of a decade long vegan. With lots of tid-bits and fun recipes, it's totally worth a look.
  • Bit of Raw - this is also a blogspot blog. Filled with little things that will make your life simpler as a vegan, vegetarian or someone who is looking to go Raw in their diet.
  • Vegan Health [dot] org - A very good resource if you're starting out or need a reminder of how to be healthy and a vegan/vegetarian. It's very easy to eat crap when you don't know what you're doing. Remember: Being Vegan doesn't mean being healthy. You need to be sure you're getting all the nutrients you need and before you take the plunge you should talk to your primary doctor (or if you're me, your ob/gyn) for guidance. 


Other news:

BP has put aside a few billion dollars just to pay off people who will be getting sick and dying from the record breaking oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. (sounds a bit to me like "And the Band Played On" - if you're not familiar. When the AIDS outbreak happened it made more sense to some to just pay off people that were infected from HIV/AIDS blood transfusion than test the blood. No joke. Oh, capitalism.) 

BP had to shut down their attempt to fix this travesty they created last last week when one of their ships was struck by lightening. (God - 1, Humans - billions and billions of dead animals and wild life)

If you're looking for more information - Al.com (Alabama's website) published an bunch of articles on their site and they're all worth the look. 

Also, tonight on CNN, Larry King will be hosting a 2 hour marathon in order to raise money for the victims of the Gulf Oil Disaster. (go here for more info.)

Isn't she cute?

Moving back to the animal thing that I love to talk about so much. This past week The Cleveland Scene printed an article called "Having a Cow" the reason I'm bringing it to light is because I'm not a fan of the tone. The article opened up speaking about Middle Age Women "swooing" over Wayne Pacelle, the CEO of the Human Society. I'm not sure what Mr. Pacelle's appearance has to do with animal cruelity but hey, I will openly admit half way through the article I began to nod off. 
Yes, it's rude, but let me just say this - WTF? The whole article (or what I've read of it) centers around the appearance of the people who are trying to tell you that the animals we (a generic we) are consuming are ill treated and abused.

"They're gonna die anyway! Who cares?"

You should, because you are consuming poorly treated animals, which means what they do or don't eat, what is shoved into their body's will be ingested into your body.

Drink Milk? You're drinking pus. This is not something made up to make you angry - it's a fact. 
Your side of beef look fresh? Chances are it's because there is dye in it

Someone commented on the Scene's website that people just don't understand farming. I say we haven't farmed in this country for years. We turned our animals into machines and when they don't do what we want any longer we toss them aside. 

Yes - there are some animal rights organizations that feel the need to get all up in your face to tell you how wrong you are and how you need to listen to them. 

I'm asking YOU to dig deeper. You tell me. You go out there and tell me what you find. I'd love to hear from you. Hell, send me pictures of what you find! I mean, I already threw up in my mouth from going to the pus site. 

There's more to life than knee jerk reactions to ideas that don't fit the life you're familiar with. You're a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for - go out there and look for the truth, because it's not going to be handed to you. The media hands you ratings - and if the truth won't get those ratings... *shrug*

Moving on to news about my life -


(the picture just made me laugh so I thought I'd share...)

Surprisingly we didn't with the www.pitch.co contest. Seems when you enter only the day before the voting closes you don't receive enough votes! LOL. Next time! But now we (my friend "M" & I) have this great idea pretty much planned out. So when we have a chance to get to getting we can start looking for investors to get MyHealth off the ground.

I'm also working on my own Yoga website which, I hope, will be up soon, but right now I've been concentrating my time on writing. I'm over 250 pages and I'm going to go write some more.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and that you will, for your own self, give up meat for one day. Trust me. It's worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment