Sunday, July 11, 2010

I'm over opinionated, but still Oil Spills & Vegan Dips are more important than spoiled Basketball Players HANDS DOWN!


The world has come to a raging halt.
We stopped and looked at the travesty that has pooled around us, yes, BP had killed part of our world. What they have accomplished in this short amount of time is set on a scale of biblical proportions, ruining the lives of millions of humans, killing millions of animals, destroying the economy and the lively hood of thousands - creating the biggest and most destructive catastrophe known to man...

...and all people will talk about is some jerk of a Basketball star that is such a spoiled brat he, just like the oil spill, decided to put power and fame in the fore front of his life helping to destroy the economy of a city all because of ego.

I'm still not sure what I'm more angry about - the fact the world stood still to hear what we already knew about the worlds most boring sport, or the fact people are pretending the oil spill is over?

Maybe I'm exaggerating about the amount of people not paying attention to the spill, as I wrote this my friend IM'd me about a Jimmy Buffet concert on CMT being held in support of cleaning up the spill, but at the end of the day I tend to feel irritated when I hear people talking about celebrity and gossiping about them rather than doing things... (...that I feel they should be doing... lol.)

Well, I'm happy that I cleared that up as I was writing this. What it comes down to is this, my lovely friends, life is too short and you are too great to sit there - so please get up. I hate when I hear people putting so much into celebrity because you are so great and I feel you're wasting your time.

I've been known to be wrongs, which is fine. BUT if you have decided you want to help, here are some links for you:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/30/impact.oil.spill/index.html
http://www.takepart.com/news/2010/04/30/the-gulf-coast-oil-leak-how-to-help
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/04/bp-oil-spill-aftermath-help/

If you can't just go there, and you're on Facebook... you can join this page:
http://www.facebook.com/BoycottBP?ref=ts

And please DO Boycott BP. Let them know that we, as a people, are worth more than death for "black gold" - because that's what this comes down to - MONEY.
Life is more important than money.
It just is.



Moving on... In HAPPY VEGAN NEWS! I'm now writing for www.Examiner.com as the Cleveland Vegetarian Restaurant Examiner - That means I'm going to be talking about Vegan/Vegetarian things in the Cleveland, Ohio area. And I don't just mean reviews, I want to use this as a platform to let people know of the places they can go and find delicious food that is animal friendly and good for you, plus events too. (so if you hear of anything... you should email me!)

And please don't think that I've forgotten what tomorrow is...

I'm assuming by this point I've spoke about the success of Ohioans for Humane Farms and the changed laws in this state. If I haven't or you haven't had the chance to read/hear about it, please follow this link. It breaks down and explains what was worked out. I know that a few days after everything went down they had a conference call Town Meeting (but I didn't pick up my phone when the call came - go me) to discuss it, which excites me to the Nth degree.
It's a small step, but it's a step in the right direction!

[the Ohioans for Humane Farms on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ohiohumane?ref=ts]

Besides saving the animals, please remember that this is about saving you too. Reducing your intake of animal products and bi-products is a GOOD THING! It's good for your heart, your general health and most things in between. If you're worried about your protein intake there are tons of books you can read that will help you understand, plus talk to your doctor, nutritionist or fanatical friend that would love nothing more than to see you give up meat (aka - me).
Yes, at times it can be a little harder than just going with the stream of things but it's not that hard and it's worth it. And just remember, in the words of the great Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) "When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to sit back and reflect" - why do you do what you do? Do you even know or are you just moving in the stream of things because it's easier to turn against the current? Living against the stream... it's just a wonderful thing (and a wonderful book! Against the Stream, by Noah Levine)



You're recipe for this week is a party favorite - 6 (or 7) LAYER DIP!!


"First, you’ll want to soak 2 cups of dried beans 4-6 hours. I used pinto beans this time, but black bean are delicious too. You can also use 3 cans of beans but I much prefer to make them from scratch with my pressure cooker and a 1 inch piece of kombu. After the beans are done, drain and mix with one package of Soyrizo.
While the beans are cooking, I get the rest of the ingredients for the layers ready. I mix one tub of vegan sour cream with one jar of salsa. Chiffonade 1 head of romaine lettuce, and cut up 1 small carton of cherry tomatoes.
I make guacamole by mashing together 4 avocados with 1 tablespoon lime juice, dash of black pepper, cumin, chili powder and sea salt to taste, with a handful of cilantro. Those are your layers with Daiya cheese.
This makes a very large, 9×13 size dip. You can always half the recipe to make a smaller version. So get all your dip layers together and start layering!
Bottom layer is the bean/soyrizo mix.
Next is the sour cream/salsa mix, spread evenly across the beans.
Next smooth over the guacamole, then sprinkle the lettuce and tomatoes evenly over the top, and sprinkle Daiya cheese over all the layers. If you’d like to make this a 7 Layer dip you can sprinkle black olives on top (I can’t stand olives so I leave them out)."

If you have never checked out The Blissful Chef's website, you really should. Besides being jammed packed with awesome info, Christy Morgan is by far one of the nicest people you'll meet. Friendly and responsive, she's the whole package and I'm happy I found her on twitter months back.

(by the way - I just copy and pasted the recipe on here. If you want to see this recipe or more of the Blissful Chef's recipes please visit her blog here, and you can buy her Cookbooks here)

I wish you all a wonderful week! May it be cooler than last week and more fun than you ever thought you'd have! Please enjoy all the links I've posted for you and tell people about me!

Live long and prosper and all that jazz!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! sSeriously, I love it! Now I'm posting it on fb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aryn!!

    And don't forget to join my page on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blissful-Chef/253050212787

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! And I think I'm already a fan. I shall check :)

    ReplyDelete