Sunday, July 18, 2010

Meatless Monday, Harvey Pekar, Cleveland, Vegan French Toast & an Awesome Blog post from The Daddy Files


Well its been a busy time in my here city over the past few weeks. First we make national news for the more inept PR stunt so far this century and then we lost Harvey Pekar. I'd like to pretend I give a crap about the whole Basket Ball upheaval but I don't. I think the man's a spoiled brat, fine, he can run up and down a plank of wood, jump into the air and then we all get smiles - but I don't care.

Larry Bird. He was a cool ass b-ball player. Was told he was a no one, worked his butt off to get to the NBA.
Michael Jordan. Fine the baseball thing may have not been the best idea, but at least he has class.

Not old what's his face and his rude behavior. Him I won't be missing.

But Harvey Pekar... that made me sad.
I wanted to come on here earlier this week and talk about how important to Cleveland Ohio Harvey Pekar was and is but I ran out of time. Now that I have the time I've been beat to the punch by someone who writes how a stream of water weaves its way across a stony river bed. Anthony Bourdain.
I couldn't possible put into words what is expressed in this blog - so I say go read it, because Harvey Pekar made this city something special. July 14th is the real day Cleveland lost out.

(By the way. I love to read peoples blogs and from time to time I happen upon one that I compare to love making. It's how I feel about some poets. It's how I feel about a few choice authors. I'm not talking about erotica here, just the pure spirit of the written word and the composure that reigns them into the right cadence. Pushing and pulling me to and fro. Bourdain is one of those people.
I think people should make love how they speak. It be much easier to find great lovers if that were the case.)

If you don't know who Harvey Pekar is he is a writer who's underground comic book American Splendor was turned into a movie back in '03. Part of the film was shot at one of my favorite comic shops, Carol and John's at Kamms Corner. He changed the perspective of writing, bringing it down the blue collar life style of the working class Clevelander. He will be missed. He should be missed. He should have been the one being paid millions.

I was honored to live in the same county as you.

Moving on... I posted another article about local Vegetarian/Vegan foods in CTown. If you're interested in checking it out, please go here. And if you like it - PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO ME! (thank you)
The review is on The Happy Dog, a bar in Cleveland that serves Hot Dogs with lots and lots of different toppings! Very good. The tots are to die for.


IT'S ALMOST MONDAY!! Can you EVEN believe it? (I sure as hell can't)

So... how's your giving up meat ONE day a week coming along? Hopefully well. But for those out there that are looking at me thinking "Aryn. I get it. You're vegan. Well I don't want to be." I found this link for you. It's to a place in Virginia that sell organic and humanely raised livestock. Ayrshir Farm. 

Does this mean I advocate killing animals? No.
What this means is I know this battle can't be one in my obsessing over my opinion and attempting to push that opinion on you. This country we live in is built on a unity of the people and the diversity within - no on one person brow beating the other because OBVIOUSLY their opinion MUST be the right one.

If you're going to consume animal products be conscious of what is really happening, if not for the animals then for your own health because what they do to these creatures, how poorly they're treated, or taken care of, etc - that ends up in your belly. a.k.a. Mad Cow or the other slew of items that have to be taken off the shelf because of some sort of contaminated meat product.

Be responsible. No it's not cheap. (trust me. I know. I'm vegan.)
But you're going to pay sooner or later. Either now with fresh and healthy food or later when you're in the hospital medical issues.

Now that brings us to the recipe of the week! Last week I hit you up with a delicious dip suitable for parties or nights in with a movie. Today I give you my biggest BIGGEST breakfast love.... French Toast. Something I missed after my decision to be vegan stuck.


(if you're looking for vegan "bacon" and don't want to make your own. Smart Life's bacon is vegan.)

Vegan French Toast

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

    2 cups vanilla soy milk
    4-5 tablespoons flour
    3 teaspoons sugar
    dash cinnamon
    bread slices (your choice)
    sugar to taste

Directions:

Mix flour, soy milk, vegan sugar and cinnamon to form a batter. Dip bread and fry in lightly greased pan until golden brown. Sprinkle with vegan powdered sugar.


(recipe curiosity of vegweb.com)

AND EAT UP! If you want to kick this up a notch - make sure the bread is organic, vegan and wheat or some other whole grain. Be sure the powder sugar is vegan (because most sugar is whitened with charcoal made from animal bones) and buy honest to god REAL Maple Syrup, because all that imitation stuff is created with... HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP - which is just plain gross. <- look I'm 12! What I mean by gross is that it's not good for you - most processed food in abundance is NOT good for you, that includes tofu. So if you're out there working towards vegetarian or a vegan state of mind, realize that beans, legumes, dark green leafy vegetables are just a FEW sources of protein for your diet. Don't rely alone on tofu or other soy based products. This can be a bad thing. I totally recommend speaking with a nutritionist or a dietitian if you have any questions about a healthy diet - what ever you like to eat.

Now that I've said all of that there are two things I'd like to bring your attention to - first, my little hippy trippy meditation to save the world. Actually this isn't my meditation, but I will be taking part in it. I'm not sure if this link will work - it's a facebook link - but give it a try. If it doesn't work, on July 22nd, which is this up coming Thursday, from 8:30-11 my lovely teacher Marni Task is helping to stage a world wide meditation for the Oil Spill and Gulf Efforts to help fix this tragedy. All you have to do is sit down and meditate in that time period. Maybe five minutes, maybe you love to meditate and you can make it the whole 2.5 hours - but take a moment on that day during those times to stop and think about the severity of the issues. Just like how I keep coming back to animal cruelty, veganism and factory farms - the gulf is a big ass deal.

bigger than all of us.

So please just lend your thoughts for a few moments.

The second thing I want to comment on is a post from a blog called The Daddy Files. I read this off my friends Facebook page today (that would be the Beeze) and I loved this post. I've made underhanded comments about "Pro-Lifers" before on here (at least I think I have) but I feel this blog post (with video) show you why I feel how I feel.

So take a moment and go here - The Daddy Files - and please read/watch and then join in the comments.

I honestly don't mean to push my views down your throat. My decision to begin writing this "Meatless Monday" rant on here is because I'm very passionate about how and what people don't know or realize is going on around us.

I attack Pro-Lifers because I don't feel the term meets their views. In the strictest sense of that term "pro-life" I'm so overly flipping "PRO-LIFE" it's bordering insanity! I don't wear anything that was produced from an animal including leather, wool, silk, etc. I don't eat things that used an animal to make them - like the sure issues I told you about before or how pigs stomach acid is used to make cheese (rennet) or even your favorite marshmallows come baring bone marrow.

I don't kills spiders, ants, flies. I don't because all life is precious to me. From babies to doctors to soldiers to animals and even those bugs and everything else in between. But you know what? That's my PERSONAL belief. If you agree with me - GREAT! If you don't... we should get a beer. I love a good debate, you never know what you're going to learn.

I have to be up tomorrow before dawn so I'm signing off, but if you made it to the end here I just want to say thank you for reading. I hope you have a wonderful week. I hope you come back. I hope you subscribe to my blog.

But most of all, I hope you give yourself a hug every now and then. I'm going to bed. Goodnight.










No comments:

Post a Comment