Monday, August 16, 2010

WELCOME BACK TO MEATLESS MONDAYS! & you though I was over it... HA!

Oh meatless mondays... how have you been? Yes, I've been away - the last two weeks of my death meditation took over so... BUT I'M BACK!

This installment is dedicated to a friend of mine who is a fan of the meat. No - I won't be posting meaty things, at least not in reference to consumption of animal - but still delicious and juicy.

<- How about that picture? Direct and to the point.

Moving on... In the news! The United Nations is urging all the people around the globe to go VEGAN. Yup, you read that right! And why? Because this is a resource that we are bound to burn out. People need to eat - and the western obsession with meat and dairy will be the death of this planet.
Here is a link to the Guardian.co.uk that talks about it in more detail, bringing up that most of the bad emissions that is killing our ozone (once gone we'll all fry too) is linked to animal farming.

I do understand how hard it is to submit to changing everything you've ever known about food. Food in a way is who we are, where we come from, our past, present and future. When you take a bite of something delicious that you had the day your child was born or at the reception of your wedding - those moments and memories flood you as your taste buds perks up.

Food is comfortable and cozy like a soft blanket on a cold winters night. It keeps us warm, tells us we're loved and helps us sleep at night.

So when someone suggests you change what you know, that security and comfort, the initial reaction is to become angry. That person is telling you to be someone or something you are not - and they are plane crazy.

I'll admit to the crazy part - but not in how you think.

You may not believe me but I grew up a meat and potatoes girl. Give me steak nearly raw, give me my potatoes baked and give me my gravy and make it a pool on my plate. I loved summer because I could grill - I started as soon as they'd let me. It was great.

"When that cow stops mooing put it on my plate." I said that - not proud I did, but I did.

The transition was weird and now it's been so long I couldn't even tell you what meat tastes like. I know when I come in contact with it because 20 minutes later I'll be sick [not kidding]. When I first made the switch back in the 90's there wasn't much of anything out this way. Amy's brand was around (I think) so I kept with the cheese and ate the pasta sauce that had the meat scooped out of it seconds before it was slathered on my pasta.

But today there are so may little thing to help you out - lend you a hand - show you how to be...
This book has some awesome recipes that will give you the "meat" you are looking for without the meat at all. How totally awesome is that? Come on. It's kinda awesome. No, its not vegan - but just make the vegan conversion and you'll be fine.

And that brings us to the recipe of the week. Are you ready?!

Vegetarian (vegan) Steak Sandwich

This recipe is from a lovely site called "The Veggie Table" you should check them out. 

Seitan Cheese Steak
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is famous for its cheese steak sandwiches. Now you too can get a taste of this wonderful, hearty sandwich.
Yield2 sandwiches
Time15 minutes
Tools
  • large saucepan
  • wooden spoon
  • tongs
Ingredients
  • 1 T oil
  • medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • medium bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
  • ½ pound seitan, thinly sliced
  • 1 T vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 2 sub rolls, pieces of French or Italian bread, or Kaiser rolls
DirectionsHeat oil over medium heat, then stir in onion and bell pepper. Cover and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, until soft.Add seitan, cook for 2-3 minutes until golden, turn and repeat. Stir in Worcestershire, salt, and pepper, then top with cheese and let sit until it melts.
Assemble the sandwiches and serve!

For all you vegans out there, just give the old mozzarella cheese a switch to your favorite vegan brand - and I recently tried the soy mozzarella cheese from Trader Joe's - very good. When I went to shred it I had to check the package because I thought I grabbed the wrong stuff.

Now I shall be on my way! Hope you have a wonderful and meat free monday!

Later to your bad self,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment