Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Japan

I'm slightly depressed today. Too little sleep and too much news, but this is one of those times I feel it's important that I take part, pay attention and understand what is happening in Japan.

When I woke up this morning my husband hand then news on. A local woman called in to their "opinion" segment and said we (meaning Americans) shouldn't be helping out, shouldn't be sending over our money to save the Japanese, we have our own problem.

Yes - we are not the Utopian society we have, from time to time, been painted as - but we also are not at a critical level during a nuclear meltdown, nor have we been hit by an earthquake and/or a tsunami. Our schools need help, but not because they'll die from radiation poising... it's over 12 hours since I heard the comment and I'm still very mad.

I hope you are one of those people that have helped in this, or one of the other many tragedies that has happened in the last few years. If more people lent a hand, can you imagine what our world would be like?

More people would smile. Thats for sure.


4 comments:

  1. Small minded people will always drown the parade. Besides it will come back to her, smile at that thought :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very true. It still makes me sad :( Sad for the speaker because of how lonely they must be to be that angry at the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard people say, "we shouldn't help, remember Pearel Harbor!" As if their stupid 20-something @$$ was alive then...They didn't even know that we helped rebuild Japan after we destoyed it...Even worse they think the U.S. is so pure and innocent...

    I've also heard people say this is Karma, for what they do to Dolphins...Listen, I saw "The Cove" and it isn't the entire country that is evil to Dolphins...

    So many stupid people, so little time to blast them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so tired of hearing people assume karma is revenge, and seriously - Pearl Harbor? This why racism irks me, because it's the generalization that EVERYONE is the same. At the end of the day it comes down to this - there is a 6 day old (one of many babies) in Japan who has done NOTHING to deserve this world he/she was born in. Or the seniors, or the other thousands of people who are kind and loving and need our help.

    We say we're the global police. Guess what - taking that title doesn't only mean fighting.

    With great power comes great responsibility - Send the money.

    ReplyDelete