Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Skin. It's big. It's itchy & it's mine.

This has been on of "those" weeks. You know the ones I'm talking about? The ones that drain every part of you one drop at a time until you're lying on the floor, in a big old heap, crying like a fool.

Yup. Good times!

Over the last few months I've been having problems with my skin. Part of me is being superficial about the mess and the other part just can't deal with how, physically, uncomfortable it is. My right eyelid is dry ALL THE TIME and there is this patch of oddness under my nose and a weird break out of acne on my chin. As time goes by and I try every lotion created by man I've come to the conclusion that it must be dietary.

I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, honey - I only eat organic. I don't eat fast food, I don't drink soda, or eat sugary foods - I eat chocolate, but not a lot and it's vegan dark chocolate with a low sugar content <-that's my one weakness.

What is left? Wheat.

Yesterday I broke down and went to a dermatologist and lost $50 of my money and 3 hours of my time to have a woman stand 3 feet away from me and raise an eye brow as I told her all my attempts to change my diet to help my skin and then she gives me a prescription for antibiotics.

Yes - because having a terribly yeast infection so I don't have acne on my chin just SCREAMS good time.

In the midst of this I stopped and bought a vegan cherry wheat muffin - I've suspected the wheat allergy for some time but decided I must be wrong and bought and ate this delicious, delicious treat and let me tell you about how I'm SO allergic to wheat. My skin - all of it from my scalp to the soles of my feet, began to it. My inner ear - itchy. The back of my throat - itchy.

What is a side effect of this sort of allergy? Skin issues - like the one I'm having.

Sometimes drugs aren't the answer - MOST times drugs are not the answer. They just hide what the real problem is, but they don't solve it. It's a mask. Pain Killer MASKS pain. And topical creams (that if I get in my eye could cause permanent damage) only make more problems.

What we eat IS what we are. And I know that but I didn't trust it.

This is yet another lesson of this long week. One of many... I'm hoping today brings better news and sunshine - because I need sunshine.

Learn from my mistakes. Please. That will make me feel better, to know you aren't waisting $50 to not be diagnosed with anything. How said, or medical system, that would rather sell you product than help you. If I want product I'll go to the mall and you know what? At least they won't insult me when I say I use "cruelty free" products.

need food.
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment