Monday, June 20, 2011

Yoga and Music, Music and Yoga

Part of my job is music. Picking the right music for a class can make or break the whole yoga experience. This has not been my strongest part of class, but just like every other part it's becoming obvious that it's gets easier with time.
Now I'll be driving down the road and hear a song and know it's right. I'll catch the lyrics and think - "Yes. That's right."

A few months back I began teaching a set of yoga classes I call Rock 'n Roll Yoga - but all it is are regular classes set to Rock music and why? Because sometimes listening to Krisna Das may not be your thing and you can find enlightenment in a million different places.

My current favorites are:
"You're a Tourist" by Death Cab for Cutie - "When there's a burning in your heart, don't be alarmed."
"The Cave" by Mumford and Sons - "The sun, it rises slowly as you walk away from all the fears."
"My Body" by Young the Giant - "My body tells me no, but I won't quit. 'Cause I want more, 'cause I want more."

There are many others - like Ruby Tuesday, or Hey Jude. I even have a slew of punk songs that I bring in from time to time because being emotional is universal. It doesn't matter where you "fit" into the scheme of things, we all go through the same emotions - anger, hate, love, sadness, and all the other ones that we carry around day in and out. Life is hard for everyone, this is something we need to be reminded of and we need to be reminded because we can isolate ourselves from the world and begin to only see our problems and that snowballs into so many terrible things.

The next time someone pisses you off stop for a moment and think of your day - think of all those stupid things that went wrong that irk you and set you into a bad place and then put the person in that situation - you never know what kind of day they had. We all deserve a break.

We are all very different and we are all very much the same, and these words, these songs remind me and help me to remind my students that we are human.

Music is universal - the messages are pretty much always the same even when the back beat isn't.

I'm off to clean my attic.
Have a great day.

aryn

No comments:

Post a Comment