Friday, September 23, 2011

The Soundtrack of My Life, "Whirring"


First, I need you to know I thought today was Thursday... whoops.
Second, this song makes me miss, desperately, being in a band.


"Turn the dial on my words, 
I can feel they fall short
                                                     Turn the dial, chime alarm, chime alarm
Watch these hands move apart, 
turn the dial on my words"

There is a beauty that is the "song." 
It takes two great and powerful things - musics & poetry - and combines them. 
Two things that make you think, feel, breathe, ache, cry, hate - love - and tumbles them together. Interweaving the want of one and the need of the other until they make love, rushing into each other - converge. This, these songs, these ideas - that is music. 

The Soundtrack of My Life is mixing the sound of my emotions with the words of my heart. 
That's what music is - it is the essence of ones soul. 
It is art. 
It is beauty. 
It... it is perfection. 

And I give you The Joy Formidable - "Whirring"


The music of this song is infectious. But there are many songs that are infectious, so why is this special? The tune... makes your toe tap, and then it makes your head bob. Then you're standing, and it makes your feet leave the ground, it makes you - breathe. 
This is a song that is contagious, but that day you finally stop and listen to the lyrics.. that's when you realize the words, they paint... you. 


They paint me.


They do... 


This band is 3 pieces - that's it. 



"This much delight fills columns to new heights
                                              All these things about me, you never can tell..."


Everyone wants two guitars and a base, and a key board, and the rhythm section (with a drum kit and someone on tambourine) and the lead vocals, plus two back up singers... (what are you? the partridge family?)


They are but three people... three. 


Simplicity... 


                                              "Colors run prime, paint a picture so bright
All these things about me you never can tell"

This song snuck up on me. I was listing to a college radio station and found myself Shazming it as I drove to work. I had a chance to see them live but didn't make the show, and for that, I am sad... this song.. I love this song.

I know the others were directly linked to the specific moment I'm was having RIGHT THEN. 
The move is pending. 
I'm losing my mind. 
One of my BF's is sad, AND I can't fix it... 

I'm leaving... 

"You make me sleep so badly invisible friend"

I guess part of it make sense. 
My Invisible Friend is haunting me so much that I have succumbed to drinking some wine in order to - LET GO.  

                                        "Turn the dial on my words, I can feel they fall short
Turn the dial, chime alarm, chime alarm
Watch these hands move apart
Turn the dial on my words"
I can see you staying here...


There is the world out there. One I pretend isn't there. One that whispers in my ear, when I am weak and doubt can seep through... 

"Fierce steps shadow, life's will gone shallow
                                               All these things about me you never can tell    
                                               You make me sleep so badly invisible friend
                                               You make me sleep so badly invisible friend"             

There is a world out there that tells you that you are too old. That you are too ugly. That you are too this. That you are too that.


It's all in our head.
It's all in my head....
It's all in OUR heads.

"You make me sleep so badly invisible friend."



"Turn the dial on my words
I can feel they fall short
Turn the dial, chime alarm, chime along
Watch these hands move apart
Turn the dial on my words
I can see you staying here...

There is this bit about life... it tells you that you need to live and you need to live for right now.
Inside you....
Inside me...
there is purpose....
there is a REASON...

What do you want?

When I was 17 I went to New York City and I knew then that I never belonged here, in my home... 
But I stayed...

Now I'm standing up and I'm saying "It's time"

My invisible friends is the guilt I have laid on myself for not following my dreams. 
"I can see you staying here..." because it's easy...

Life is too short...
...life is too short...

All those excuses
All those "reasons" WHY

It's too short - and they're just excuses.


I can see you staying here.................................................................................. no you can't... 


No comments:

Post a Comment