Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween Vegan Delight! - "Caramel Apples"


VEGAN Caramel Apples - YUMMMMMMMMM

So what do I miss once I became a vegan? Is it cheese? No... Is it steak? (ew) NO! It's confections. It's dessert - its that little bit of dinner I wait for all day in the hopes it WON'T attach itself to my ass, but instead sit nicely in my belly and make me want to smile - SO - MUCH - LONGER.

I miss... Caramel Apples. They remind me of fall. They remind me of Halloween. They remind me of my childhood when I didn't know better. So I give you this delightful recipe, but I will tell you one very crucial thing - you REALLY need to have a candy thermometers to make this. Don't think you can wing it. You can't. Nothing personal. If we could wing this - candy thermometers wouldn't have been invented. They have been, buy one. 

If you live in an area that has apple picking, go pick come apples! If you don't go to the store and get a pile of Granny Smith apples. Why? Because they're firm and a bit tart (not much unlike myself) and they are a nice contrast to the sweet (sweet, sweet) caramel we're going to be making.

If you abhor Granny Smith, get whatever you like - I won't judge you. Honest. I just want you to eat caramel... seriously. Its good.

Vegan Caramel
Makes will coat 8-10 apples

1C Earth Balance Butter

2C sugar (Florida Crystals) [regular sugar is not vegan]
2 cups soy milk (like Silk)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 tspn vanilla

Line an 8 inch x 8 inch pan with parchment or wax paper (but 
parchment is better) or cover a baking sheet with parchment and ready your apples and sticks. You can cover a few apples and then place the remaining caramel in any parchment lined container to set up and make candies. (OR you can make a bloody good sundae using some delicious vegan ice cream like Tofutti or So Delicious
  • Place the margarine, sugar, soy milk and corn syrup in a large saucepan (4 quart or higher)
  • Bring ingredients to a boil stirring constantly. <- don't go off and start tweeting or checking facebook - stir! Stir like the wind!)
  • Cook over medium-high heat while stir like said wind until candy reaches 248 degrees F. (243-5 for softer caramels) on that candy thermometer you went out and got just to make these apples. 
  • Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into lined baking pan. If coating apples then let allow the caramel to cool for a minute while still stirring and then start coating. (Dip them in the pot. Dip them in rounds. Give each apple at least 2 or 3 coats - yum-tacular) After you coat the apples place them in the fridge or eat them as soon as they cool.
If you want to put any sprinkles on them, do it BEFORE you place the apples in the fridge. Then eat them - eat them a lot. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment