Friday, October 14, 2011

The Soundtrack of My Life - "Straight to Hell" & "Paper Planes


(please forgive me for missing last week... time has been getting the upper hand... no good)

The Clash. Oh how I love The Clash.
There is this image of Joe Strummer from the first time he came over to the U.S. - he's standing on the Empire State Building observation deck pointing at the city behind him. It's one of those photos that have always stuck with me. It hung on the wall next to my computer monitor for years at my old job - handsome Joe Strummer.

Straight To Hell wasn't really on my list of songs when this idea came about. Soundtrack Fridays, if you will. But then this Occupy Wall Street began - and this song crept back into my life.

Musically it has been on my list for a very long time.
In bouts of depression I would lie in bed with it on repeat, sinking deeper and deeper into my mattress as I cried about whatever I felt deserved tears at the time. But, regardless, the music is striking.

The lyrics... well... maybe the don't directly apply to the current situation. Joe Strummer and Mick Jones were talking more about a bundle of issues - from the closing of the mills in England and Racism all the way over to American soldiers and the children they fathered in Vietnam during the war. BUT - the song is in protest of the wrongs committed to those who feel powerless. The children. The populace.

And then there is Paper Planes by M.I.A. - another British musician who uses the ever so haunting measures of notes to, once again, comment on what it comes down to - control, power and of course - money. Yes, she is speaking about drug dealing - but its just another form of business that makes one person rich and kills the populace - leaves the general masses for cannon fodder..

.....

There is an energy in this world right now. I can feel it when I walk down the street and see the larger numbers of homeless people. I can feel it when I read the paper and see what's happening around this country - even around this entire planet. I can feel it when I look at my personal life.

"The Great Recession" <- that's what I've heard it called...

There is a pissing match in D.C. and a friend of mine said it best, "Everyone feels they are the John Galt of this generation." But what I see is a pile of people who are looking for $$ & image - and if there is one way to not live... that would be it.

Most of these politicians need to go straight to hell. We need to start over. We need to realize that every person alive has a purpose and that without each person living for themselves and loving themselves and understanding their purpose - the machine will remain broken. No one person is better than the other and when can't see that - its a problem.

To quote the Dalai Lama "If you can, help others. If you cannot do that, at least do not harm them."

That said, here is your two part soundtrack installment - First, I give you Straight to Hell, by the Clash and second, M.I.A.'s Paper Planes.

Straight to Hell:



If you can play on the fiddle
How's about a British jig and reel?
Speaking King's English in quotation
As railhead towns feel the steel mills rust water froze
In the generation
Clear as winter ice
This is your paradise

There ain't no need for ya
Go straight to hell boys

Y'wanna join in a chorus
Of the Amerasian blues?
When it's Christmas out in Ho Chi Minh City
Kiddie say papa papa papa papa-san take me home
See me got photo photo
Photograph of you
Mamma Mamma Mamma-san
Of you and Mamma Mamma Mamma-san
Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola it's rice.

Straight to hell
Oh Papa-san
Please take me home
Oh Papa-san
Everybody they wanna go home
So Mamma-san says

You wanna play mind-crazed banjo
On the druggy-drag ragtime U.S.A.?
In Parkland International
Hah! Junkiedom U.S.A.
Where procaine proves the purest rock man groove
and rat poison
The volatile Molatov says-

PSSST...
HEY CHICO WE GOT A MESSAGE FOR YA...
VAMOS VAMOS MUCHACHO
FROM ALPHABET CITY ALL THE WAY A TO Z, DEAD, HEAD

Go straight to hell

Can you really cough it up loud and strong
The immigrants
They wanna sing all night long
It could be anywhere
Most likely could be any frontier
Any hemisphere
No man's land and there ain't no asylum here
King Solomon he never lived round here

Go straight to hell boys


Paper Planes:



I fly like paper, get high like planes
If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name
If you come around here, I make 'em all day
I get one down in a second if you wait

I fly like paper, get high like planes
If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name
If you come around here, I make 'em all day
I get one down in a second if you wait

Sometimes I feel sitting on trains
Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Everyone's a winner now we're making that fame
Bonafide hustler making my name

Sometimes I feel sitting on trains
Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Everyone's a winner now we're making that fame
Bonafide hustler making my name

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system

No one on the corner has swag like us
Hit me on my banner prepaid wireless
We pack and deliver like UPS trucks
A radio in hell just pumping that gas

No one on the corner has swag like us
Hit me on my banner prepaid wireless
We pack and deliver like UPS trucks
A radio in hell just pumping that gas

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money

M.I.A.
Third world democracy
Yeah, I got more records than the K.G.B.
So, uh, no funny business

Some some some I some I murder
Some I some I let go
Some some some I some I murder
Some I some I let go


No comments:

Post a Comment