Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Aryn's Thanksgiving BLOWOUT!! - part 1


First - I was planning to list a week of recipes for you to look over, ponder, and then make and consume this coming Thursday.

Then - I decided to wait. I figured I would make up a pile of food and then tell you about it in the up coming week(s).

Now - I'm hungry and I have Thanksgiving on the brain... so here I am! Below are listed what I PLAN on having for Thanksgiving. Some of the items I have made some I have made up and plan on testing out on Thursday (candied sweet potatoes are a prime example) - so that means I just don't know how this will turn out.

Will it be the best idea I've ever had?

Will it be the worst? (no - and BOY do I have the baggage to prove it! phew!)

Will it be the most funnest thing ever? (once again no - funnest isn't a word)

HERE WE GO!

For the "Bird" we will be having the Turtle Island "Tofurky" Holiday Roast. Complete with wild rice stuffing and a gelatinous gravy. (all gravy is gelatinous when cold. this is normal. please remain calm.)

I am a fan of both turtle island and tofurky. This is not my first bird-less bird, but it certainly is my favorite. I've had the kind you see in television shows that make fun of vegans/vegetarians where its looks like a cardboard cut out (and it tastes like one too). Tofurky is VEGAN - meaning no animal products byproducts at all.

If you're not vegan - and aren't a fan of tofurky (shame on you...) try Quorn! They have a Roast Log - also delicious.

WARNING: DO NOT THINK THAT BECAUSE THIS BIRD IS BIRDLESS 
IT WILL TAKE 10 MINUTES TO COOK. 
BOTH OF THESE ROASTS TAKE OVER AN HOUR (over 1 <= hour) TO BAKE. 
Don't wait until the last second or you really will be sands bird.

Breakfast: (lets start at the top folks!)

Pumpkin Muffins:
Yes. Pumpkin. Muffins. YUM!! 

I'm going to use this recipe I found on All Recipes.com and pop it into the Veganizer - beep! beep! beep! beep! BEEEP!!! VOILA! 

Ingredients

  • 2 cups sugar - that's a LOT of sugar. I'll cut this by 1/2
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs - Egg Replacer or (more than likely) apple sauce. 1/4 C per Egg
  • 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour - Organic AND Unbleached
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder -
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves - I don't have any. SKIP!
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups raisins <= Husband won't eat this
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts <= Husband won't eat this
(who am I kidding? Neither will I. It's not that I'm anti-raisin or anti-walnut for that matter, I'm just anti-texture in my muffins. I like nice smooooooooth muffins! Can I get an Amen?!)

Directions

  1. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs - substitute, pumpkin and water. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, spices and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture; blend well. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
  2. Skip the greasing and find cut cupcake holders - this give you something to hold under your chin when the crumbs come crumbling down.

Cinnamon Rolls:
Any excuse to make cinnamon rolls is a good excuse to make cinnamon rolls. (Hey! It's 3pm - CINNAMON ROLLS! Hey! It's sunny! CINNAMON ROLLS!) 

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup Soy/Rice/Almond milk
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance, softened
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour <= split this in half. 1 part organic unbleached all purpose. 1 part organic wheat.
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast - I never measure yeast. I just don't. Looks around 2 tbsp. Yes its a lot, but it's SO worth it when your rolls are all fluffy. 
  • 1/4 cup white sugar <= eww! NEVER! Organic UN-processed sugar. 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt <= anytime something calls for salt, I put in a pinch. 
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 egg - I use replacer because I don't want apples ruining my cinnamon. PS - you can add 1/4 C Oil as an egg replacer too. 
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed <= MAKE YOUR OWN 1 Cup unprocessed, not refined, Organic Sugar and 2 TBSP molasses. Mash it up with a fork. BAM! Brown Sugar (Emeril doing the Stones)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance, softened
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional) <= FRIEND'S DON'T LET FRIEND RAISIN THE ROLL... just sayin'...

  • Heat over - 375

  • Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk it together (including the 1/4 C sugar.) Add DRY yeast and whisk it in. Set aside.
  • Heat up milk in the microwave (or on stove if you're in the mood) just before boiling. Stir in the 1/4 Earth Balance and let the mixture cool a bit. 

  • Meanwhile...
Make up your brown sugar and set that - cinnamon, other dose of butter aside.

mix in milk mixture. If it's still more flour than dough, slowly add in that 1/4 c water - until the dough begins to ball. Pull the dough out of mixer and set on floured surface. Roll up sleeves, turn kitchen timer on to 6 minutes and begin to kneed the dough - UNTIL - the timer beeps. 

Put dough in bowl. Put bowl in microwave. Go drink some coffee, tea, mimosas - whateve and kick back for 20 minutes. 

When you're rest is up, take dough and roll it out into a rectangle. Keep the dough about 1/4" thick. SLATHER with Earth Balance Butter, cover with Brown Sugar and sprinkle cinnamon all over that bad boy. Roll into a log. 

Using a REALLY sharp knife or a bread knife, cut into 12 rolls.

Place them into a greased pan. Let them sit for 10 more minutes. Drizzle with melted butter. 
Bake for about 20 minutes. Start checking at twenty minutes. Once they're golden brown - they're done.

Let them cool a few minutes before consuming. 


MAIN MEAL:
Sides - 
 
Mashed Potatoes:

1 potato per person you're serving. (I'm going to make 4)
Wash them well, chop into cubes, place into stock pot and cover with lightly salted water.

Boil until you can poke the pieces and they fall apart. Drain and put them back in the warm pot. To this we're going to add 
1/4 C Earth Balance Butter.
1/2 container Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
1/2 C Vegetable Broth (vegan in nature)
1 head roasted Garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix it all in - using a masher MASH

Put in baking dish - place in preheated oven 350 - drizzle a little melted butter over it - Bake 10 minutes until you have golden brown peaks.

Candied Sweet Potatoes:

2 bigger in size Sweet Potatoes (or yams)
Butter
Water
Vegan Marshmallow fluff - rice-mallow
cinnamon
brown sugar.

Peel and cut potatoes into bit size pieces - place in a pot, cover with water - boil until ALMOST tender.
Drain - place back on pot. Mix in (lets say 3 TBSP) Butter; 1/4 Brown Sugar (or 1/4 sugar and 2 TBSP molasses) and 1/2 container of the fluff. Mix it all together - pour into baking dish and top with other 1/2 of fluff - bake for 15 minutes 350. 


Hmm... I need to add to this, but my child is climbing on me, so I'll be back tomorrow with more ideas and a few dessert... YUM! 
 
OK Vegan Turkey Lovers... GO! (eat)
 

  •   

No comments:

Post a Comment