Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Treat! Vegan Lasagna

There are many traditions out there during the holiday season. They differ from culture to culture, family to family - and in my family the biggest holiday tradition out there is Christmas Lasagna!

As far back as I can remember Christmas Eve will filled with this noodle layered treat. Meat, cheese, sauce - repeat!

I haven't had it in years, but this year I will - my vegan recipe for this delightful holiday treat.


You will need:

2 packages Tofu Italian sausages - Chopped (Tofurky is my favorite & it's 100% vegan)
1 package Vegan ground beef (like Light Life or make your own - recipe below)
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 jars vegan tomato sauce (Trader Joe's makes a really good organic vegan sauce that is clearly marked with a "V")
1/2 cup water (or a red wine of choice - I love Louis Jadot Beaujolias)
2 tablespoons sugar (Florida Crystals - Whole Foods Vegan sugar, etc)
3 teaspoon Italian seasoning (equal mixture of basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, rosemary & sage)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 lasagna noodles
2 packages of tofu ricotta cheese (recipe below)
2 (or more) bags of Dayia mozzarella cheese shreds 
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs (blend up day old bread and a tablespoon of our Italian season in a food processor.)
2 tablespoons Earth Balance (or vegan butter of choice)

Vegan Ground Beef Recipe:
1 package TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein - this is soy, so if you're allergic to soy, beware)
2 to 3 Cups of your very favorite Vegan Vegetable Broth (low sodium if you can)
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce (tamari or braggs liquid aminos will work too)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Vegan Ricotta Cheese  Recipe: (double this for the above recipe)
1 package FIRM tofu
2 Garlic Cloves chopped (or more if you love yourself some garlic - which I do)
1/2 Mediums Onion - chopped
1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar (or 1 freshly squeezed lemon juice)
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 tablespoon  Basil
1 tablespoon Oregano
Make this a day in advance and let it sit in the fridge so every things comes together.

GET TO BUILDING!

Get yourself a big backing dish - 9x9 will work. Grease it with your Earth Balance and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375*

Have all your ingredients set up:
Jars of sauce OPENED
Saute up (in olive oil) the onions and garlic, add chopped Italian Sausages, and Vegan Ground Beef;  brown (especially if you're using the Light Life) - add tomato paste, mix until not lumpy - add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt & water (or wine) - allow to simmer for 10 minutes or so and then add the 2 jars of pre-made sauce - mix well and set aside.

Boil water and add the lasagna noodle (follow the direction on the package of the box)

Place a layer of the meat sauce on the bottom of the pan, cover with noodles (over lapping the noodles will help keep things in order) then begin to layer - ricotta, dayia, meat sauce, noodles - Repeat. When you get to the top cover with the rest of your dayia cheese, sprinkle with Italian Bread crumbs and drizzle with butter.

Cover with tinfoil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Pull off tinfoil and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes (until top is brown).

Cool for 20 minutes before serving. ENJOY!! Yum!

7 comments:

  1. I'm not a Vegan but I must say this sounds pretty damn yummy. I could eat lasagna 3 times a day every day for the rest of my life if it weren't for the fact that I'd probably weigh 500 lbs by the time I hit 35.

    Speaking of holiday treats, here's one of my favorites. They're lady finger cookies with pecans, and they're super delicious!

    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you! If you want to make it a "meat lover" version, for the "cheese" use ricotta, add one egg, 1/4 cup (to 1/2 cup) Parm Cheese, garlic, basil, oregano. And for the meat use Italian Sausage (spiciness of your choice) removed from the casing and brown it up, then add the onions, garlic and saute them in the juices of the sausages - add tomatoes, etc. and use real cheese. :)
    Growing up we did a mix of provolone and mozzarella. Provolone slices and shredded mozz.
    They layer would be meat sauce, noodle, provolone, ricotta, meat sauce, mozz, noodle.

    and YAY!! I'm going to check these out RIGHT NOW! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and by "these" I mean the recipe you posted... I have no excuse... mild brain fart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how they turn out. I'm sure you will love them, because they are really really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited about it that it will be on here tomorrow (with the appropriate links of course). I forgot about those cookies, they were one of my very favorites growing up. My Great Aunt Sophie was a killer baker (and all around chef) and she used to make me these.
    She was a great lady and I really wish I had all of her recipes to share with the world. Some of the best food I ever had in my life and I haven't had it since I was 10.

    ReplyDelete