Friday, December 16, 2011

The Soundtrack of My Life "Father Christmas - The Kinks"



Christmas. Christmas. Christmas.
We ask every year what's the meaning. People lose their mind over the "Christ" v "X" debate.
"DON'T TAKE CHRIST OUT OF CHRISTMAS"
The first time I heard someone say this I was 7. My second grade catholic nun teacher had a melt down in front of our class because someone had written "My X-Mas Holiday" on the top of their paper.

I hate this debate, because this debate means we're not celebrating - it means we're being angry and picky and missing the point.

What is Christmas but the time of year when we're supposed to show love, compassion and selflessness to those around us, and that's why I give you the Kinks, "Father Christmas".

Firstly, the Kinks are awesome. Everyone goes on their tangents about music in the 1960's and for some reason they clamor towards the Stones and the Beatles. The Kinks brought us Lola, Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues, You Really Got Me, 20th Century Man & Waterloo at Sunset just to name a few.

Secondly, if there is a song that encapsulates the BS that is going on in this world this holiday season, it's this song.

Father Christmas, give us some money
Don't mess around with those silly toys.
We'll beat you up if you don't hand it over
We want your bread so don't make us annoyed
Give all the toys to the little rich boys 

-or-

But give my daddy a job 'cause he needs one
He's got lots of mouths to feed
But if you've got one, I'll have a machine gun
So I can scare all the kids down the street 

I've picked this song because so many people are worried about the image of the word "Christmas" but they're really not worried about the essence of it. We all know that the holiday season is about giving - it's not about what sales you got because you got in line at 3am to get a cheap TV at Walmart. 

I've always loved this song, it's been a favorite for many years and this year is no different.  

If you haven't been paying attention to the Occupy Movement - maybe this is the moment, this holiday season, is the time to sit back as try to understand what it's really about. It's about equality. It's about fairness. It's about doing what's right. It's about this holiday season - however you celebrate it. 

"Have yourself a merry merry Christmas
Have yourself a good time
But remember the kids who got nothin'
While you're drinkin' down your wine" 

Be grateful for what you have and enjoy - Father Christmas, by the Kinks ->
Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. THIS IS WHY WE ARE SUCH GOOD INTERWEBS FRIENDS I LOOOOOOOOVE THE KINKS! WELL RESPECTED MAN!!! Ahem. Sorry, but they make me want to scream like a fangirl in all caps. I, uh, will be exiting now. Calmly and quietly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the caps!!! LOL!! And I love the kinks... :))

    ReplyDelete