Friday, December 30, 2011

The Soundtrack of My Life, "Home" Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros


The worlds a changin'.
People are reverting back to a more migratory life, leaving possessions behind and trying to find themselves elsewhere. They say jobs are on the rise, but where? Now where I came from - if you have a job back east, you hold onto it because there aren't many to come by. At least no good ones.

I read an article the other day stating that crime was at an all time low. People were shocked, in a depression (or recession, whatever you choose to call it) people aren't stealing, aren't being violent... I don't believe that either, what I believe is people will do what they need to for those they love, regardless.

I know I would. I would leave it all behind for those I love - no questions asked. Some may think this is a weakness, but I don't see it that way...

I know nothing about Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, but I know this song, "Home".

This road I've been on, moving from Ohio to California - Cleveland to L.A. - has been interesting in all the ways I never expected it to be. I knew there would be adjustment periods, I knew there would be people who never spoke to me again, I figured I knew who most of the were - I assumed a lot of things.

I assumed about work, school, play, adventure...

Every day I try to take a moment to sit and look at me and look at my life and what I've come up with is 2 simple things: #1 - everyone has terrible things happen to them, but those moments don't define you, how you react to them does. #2 - I will never question why I married who I did because I know why:

Ahh, Home,
Let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you
Home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you


People will tell you this from the moment you're born till the moment you die - it doesn't matter where you are at, but who you are with. Look at your husband/wife. Look at your family/friends. REALLY look at them and then look at you.

At the end of the day, at the end of our lives, what we look back at with love and fondness won't be the things we have but the things we've done, or haven't done. It'll be the people we've loved and those who made you feel so wonderfully beautifully yourself that you smile for weeks. That's what I see for 
me at least...

We laugh until we think we'll die,
Barefoot on a summer night
Nothin' new is sweeter than with you

And in the streets we're running free
Like it's only you and me
Geez, you're something' to see

"Home" made the soundtrack of my life because the lesson I've learned in the last two months is that if you can't carry it with you (and your heart counts as luggage), then you probably don't need it.
 

Now enjoy Home, by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros 




2 comments:

  1. Two things. First, my sister and I sing this song like it's our job. GREAT GREAT SONG. Second, I agree with your post one hundred billion percent. In the end, our possessions won't mean anything. I want my life to be built on love, and family, and friends, and memories. All the money and objects in the world won't be floating through my mind in the end. Er, I mean that in an uplifting and not dismal way... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a big shop-a-holic and major fan of shopping therapy, then I lost my job and had a son (around the same time) and everything changed. Time and time again it has been proven to me that I have what I need, because I do.

    Your comment is uplifting! It's wonderful to see how close you and your sister is, it's relationships like that, that keep you warm on cold night. :)

    ReplyDelete