Friday, December 16, 2011

Write on, baby!


I crawled into bed last night and set aside the 4 books I've been reading here and there and pulled out an old favorite. Ender's Game. I've read this book so many times and have bought so many new copies over the years I've lost track.

I made a decision last night.

Writing is scary. Following your dreams is terrifying. Not giving up is nearly paralyzing.

When I finally decided to begin the querying process I read everything I could get my hands on that would prepare me for the rejection to come. "Pick a high number of rejections to get prior to beginning, that way you will allow yourself a cushion." That is what one site read. The woman who wrote it picked 100, so I went higher.

But rejection is still rejection. Even if you sit in front of a mirror and have an hour long chat with yourself about the perilous path in front of you - it's still stings. Even though you pick an obnoxiously high number of rejections you'll allow yourself to get before moving on - each letter makes you go - "Oh. Ok... Guess I'll need more names..."

I'm not planning on giving up.
I don't plan on giving up even when I reach my number (which is 400 by the way).

That's the decision I made last night - I want this.

I want it more and more each day and while there is a small pang in my heart when I see that, "Thank you for contacting me, but we're not interested at this time." note, I just want it and I'm not going to stop until I get it - that said, today I'm working on my vision board and yes, it's including book awards and all sorts of grand things that I just want.

This post it merely me saying it out loud, because until I do, it's not 100% real. So now it's real.

In the end, if it was easy then everyone would be doing it and easy is boring. Who wants boring? I don't - I want adventure and this is just another one to enjoy.

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made this (correct) decision.

    In the immortal words of Jim Valvano:

    Don't give up...don't ever give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that, my dear, is why your blog is called WEEKLY ADVENTURES, because you are of the adventuresome sort. :) About four years ago, I wrote out a list of five things that I wanted to see happen within five years. I keep it on my bulletin board in my office. As of this year, three have come true. I've got another year (give or take, since actually having a book published is the catalyst to the other two) to get a book award and win a readership. :) So it can happen, and it will. And I think 400 is a FABULOUS number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BW - thank you. As always you are so wonderfully supportive and I thank you for that. I'm ready to get back to writing!

    Anita - I think you have to do that, have a vision board or a list - something to remind you day in and out what and, most importantly, WHY. I have many reason and many things listed and I can't wait. I like being excited for life, for a long time I wasn't. For a long time I was tired and allowed fear to over take me, but I'm done with that. Life is too short and I know I repeat myself, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

    love to you both!!

    ReplyDelete