Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Weekly Dish - Vegan Fried Sweet Potato Pies


Vegan Fried Sweet Potato Pie

Besides being one of my very favorite vegetables, the sweet potato is very versatile. Able to transform into a delicious pie and in the same day become a savory, this treat is a dessert that is perfect for packed lunches or just to nibble on at home. 

Dough:
4-1/2 C Flour (organic, unbleached)
3 TBSP Sugar (currently addicted to Whole Foods Vegan variety)
1/2 Earth Balance, or any other vegan butter
2 "eggs" use Ener-g Egg Replacer
1 Cup Soy Milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)

Filling:

3 C Mashed sweet potatoes
1 C Sugar
3 "eggs" use Ener-g Egg Replacer
1 C Evaporated Milk (Recipe Below)**
1/4 C melted Earth Balance
3 TBSP flour
1 tspn vanilla extract

canola oil for frying and powdered sugar to make it look pretty

In a bowl mix flour and sugar (from the dough recipe) and then cut in the earth balance until it gets all nice and crumbly. Add "eggs" and milk. Mixed until it forms a nice ball and then place in the fridge.

Meanwhile... In another bowl, mix the potatoes, sugar, "eggs", "milk", butter, flour and vanilla. Whip it all together until smooth. 

Divide the dough into (around) 25 balls (it never the same twice here...) roll out into a nice sized circle (4" - 5") on a floured surface. Spoon 2 TBSP of filling on 1/2 of the dough, moisten edge and fold close, pressing the edges together. (you can use a fork to make this extra closed). Then prick the top a few times with a fork - repeat. 

in a skillet, heat 1/2" of oil to 375*. Fry pies a few at a time for 1 minute on each side and drain on a paper towel. Dust with powder sugar. Consume. 



**Vegan Evaporated Milk
Put 3 cups liquid soymilk or rice milk in a saucepan.
Add 1/2 cup sugar or equivalent.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until volume is reduced to 1 cup.
Add vanilla to taste, and a pinch of salt.
Cool.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god....My mom used to make these for me all the time when I was a kid. She used apples and peaches instead of sweet potatoes (there's two more options for those who don't like sweet potatoes), but other than the filling it's the same thing I used to munch on when I was growing up.

    I love these fried pies, and many thanks to you for giving me a pleasant memory from my childhood. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I love these too. Mini pies are the best. yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMMMMM and I totally owe you some vegan cake recipes. I swear I'll send them over in the next day or so! <3

    ReplyDelete