Friday, April 20, 2012

I lost a friend...


I would like to share with you my pre-dinner epiphany.

If you don't know me personally, I am a multi-tasker. In recent years, with the availability of things like "smart phones," my multi-tasking has been taken been taken to a whole new level.

I cook AS I do research.
I play with my son at the park AS I set up my DVR for a show I want to watch.
I watch TV AS I check emails, scan facebook, and talk to my friends (on twitter/texting/etc)

Well tonight was no different, so as I stood at my kitchen counter chopping up some onions, I tapped the old "facebook" button and see a name I haven't seen in a long time and BAM - almost stick my big old knife through my thumb.


Trying to remove a digit, accidentally or otherwise, is not the best idea on the planet, and seeing I'm vegetarian, I've just tainted my dinner. (I'm kidding)

But this got me to thinking. I've said it a million times and I'm sure you've said it too, "I lost a friend."  But did you? Did I?

If they were ever really your friend, how can you lose them? (that's the actual epiphany)

The truth is so very simple (because it normally is) in life we meet people, we attach ourselves to them, we grow apart, we leave them. Sometimes these are randoms, sometimes these are "family", sometimes there are spouses - we meet them, we attach ourselves, things change - we go our separate ways.

And in the process, we over use the word "friend." 

I'm thirty-kah;fdkhfe years old, and I've been to school, had jobs, dated people, went to bars - all the places you meet people. I've known my fair share - some I talked to every day - and they were never my friend. 

You can't lose a friend, you may grow apart, but friends always come back. 
So when you're sitting around thinking, "I've lost a friend." realize you can't, because if it's real friendship - they'll come back to you. (or you to them)

I firmly believe this because of two beautiful women in my life that knew me when and know me now and that middle part just gives us lots to talk about when we drink.




No comments:

Post a Comment