Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What do you wanna be?


When I was in 6 grade, my math teacher asked my class what we wanted to be when we grew up. Sister Maryanne went around the room forcing each and everyone to answer that question and making us announce it to the entire class.

Public speaking, something I hated more than liver and onions.

And every student had a perfect answer: lawyer, doctor, astronaut - but then she got to me and I said "happy."

Sister Maryanne was probably the model for nun stereo-types. Cool and cruel at times. My middle school experience was less than stellar (just like a few of my dear friends) and it all led back to SMA (Sister Maryann - the "cool kids" called her SMA) She told me that I had misunderstood her as she laughed with a few of the other students directly at me. How could I have been so dumb?

At that age I was mortified, but here I am many years later and that question still pops into my head from time to time and the answer has remained the same - when I grow up, I want to be happy. See, the problem was that at 10/11 years old I wasn't very articulate, even though I talked incisively. At 10/11 years old the only response I had to her laughing was to cower in my seat and cry when I got home, but now I'm 36/37.

Sister Maryanne had been right about one thing - there was a loss of communication between her and myself, but it was because she phrased her question wrong. She should have asked my fellow students and I, "What career path do you want to take", or even "What did we want to do with our lives", maybe then I would have answered World Explorer, Fighter Pilot, Teacher or Writer, but she didn't. She clearly asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up." - and answer to that question is and will always be - happy.

Don't let your job define you.
Follow your bliss regardless of the SMA's out there who cut you off at the knees and laugh at you and if you can't, remember if SMA had been truly happy, she wouldn't have had the need to be cruel. Only sad and angry people pass along negativity. Only small people take the time out of their day to tell you that you are wrong when your choices don't match up to theirs. (only empty people would do that to a child)

Be happy when you grow up.
Be happy.

And remember, how you treat people morphs their memories of you inside and out, so even if you look like this:


You may always be remember as this:


Because you couldn't be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment