Monday, September 10, 2012

Adventures in Cleaning


I found out about this gem cleaning solution on pinterest and later I googled it and found this site, which went into great detail about the process.

And then I promptly forgot about it.

OK, I didn't forget as much as I couldn't find a large enough spray bottle and I have issues with paying $6 or so for a bottle of Dawn dish soap (or $3, or anything over $1.5, like the generic dish soap I use in my home). So I just let it slip away and ignored the nasty soap scum in my bathroom, sticking with my normal excuses as to why it was alright NOT to remove said scum.

And then the roaches came.

So all the blogs and pins I read about "Dawn & Vinegar" were for bathroom use - but I decided to go out on a limb and try it in other ways and LET ME TELL YOU!! SHAZAM!

My stove looks A-MA-ZING!


This mixture of soap and hot vinegar removed stains and cooked on goo that I can never get off. It removed grease from the top and the side and dark marks from the vents in the front of the stove.



It was SO unbelievable I rushed off to my bathroom and sprayed the hell out of the tub and the tub walls... guess what? ALSO A-MA-ZING!!

(I'd post photos, but my bathroom is small and it's hard to get in there and take a photo and not cut out more than half the room.)

This is what I did different:

First - I didn't buy Dawn, it's expensive and actually my least favorite dish soap on the market (but I still love them because of saving wild life after having oil sludge dumped on them. So GO DAWN! You rock - except in my sink). I used my generic target brand dish soap - in vivid green. Because it's cheap.

Second - I didn't wait 2 hours. Let me give you a heads up, heated vinegar smells TERRIBLE. Terrible. Like eye burning, nose hair singing bad. Clean fast, and open windows.
Use a wet rag, sponge, towel, whatever and wipe the wall/appliance down completely and BAM - shiny clean surfaces.

Third - It worked anyway and I will no longer buy stupid cleaning supplies like Tilex that make me want to vomit and not wash my child in the tub for 2 days after using it. (And I won't by the eco-friendly cleaners, because if it's eco-friendly, that means I should be able to make it myself, at home.)


I had to pass this along because it works so well and its SO CHEAP! You can buy a gallon of white vinegar for under $3 - as for a spray bottle, you can either go out and buy one, or dump out one of your old cleaners (wash the bottle several times) and use that. (I ended up using the travel spray bottle I use to tame my curly fro - I'll need a new one).

Totally worth it.

Happy cleaning (and saving!)
Aryn

ps - Thank you "Life, Crafts & Whatever" for you awesome blog!
pps - if you're bored you can follow me on twitter and on pinterest

2 comments:

  1. I use vinegar to clean my stainless steel pots/pans by boiling it in a 1:3 ratio (1 part vinegar to 3 parts water), so I can second the thought that hot vinegar smells horrifically bad. It's rank when diluted with water, so I can only imagine how bad it smells when it's in it's full-fledged vinegarness.

    Thanks for the home-made cleaning solution. I will definitely have to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying learning ways to do things without buying all those products we're told we just NEED to have. My two favorite things thus far are vinegar and baking soda (some times together on volcano day! lol)
    But they work, most of the time, better - smell better and cost a fraction of what you would normally spend.

    People should just become 'green' to save their wallet and the fact it saves the environment is just an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete