Monday, September 24, 2012

Your just desserts - Banana Ice Cream



I think the hardest part of becoming a vegan for me has been desserts. Yes, everyone hits me with the, "how can you live without dairy?!", but in reality it's not that hard - after a bit of time. And in this day and age you can find coconut, soy and rice ice cream all over the place (even at some ice cream parlors) and let not forget sorbet - which is ALWAYS milk free. :)

But at the end of the day, even those fabulous dairy free alternatives aren't SUGAR free - so if you're trying to be healthy...

That is why I love, love, love, love... FROZEN BANANA ICE CREAM!

currently being consumed as blog is being written

This is the easiest and most delicious dessert you can make that comes with NO GUILT because it's low calorie, sugar free (meaning you won't be adding any sugar, I'm not counting the sugar in the fruit itself), and its delicious. Ok, so I already said that, but it really is.

What you need:

1 banana - the riper the better. This is a great recipe to use up those bananas you forgot to eat.
some fresh pineapple (optional - I have a container of cut up pineapple I use for green smoothies on hand most days)
Strawberries (optional - you can use any berry or no berry, you can just it the ice cream and be done with it)

You'll also need a food processor or a blender.

Chop up the banana and freeze it. This should take about an hour, minimum - I free over night.
Once it frozen, place the bits into the food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl/plate and top as you choose. It's just that simple, fresh banana ice cream that is vegan, raw, and healthy.

Now, if you don't mind a bit of sugar in your diet - you can add about a tablespoon of agave (honey or real maple syrup), a tspn of vanilla and you'll have a new banana vanilla ice cream and if you want to go one step further, add 2 tablespoons coco power - BAM! Chocolate.

OR - you can stick with the agave and instead of vanilla, add a teaspoon of cinnamon - amazingly delicious.

And now you're thinking... what about a milk shake???

EASY PEASY!

Add 1/2 cup Milk of choice (I use rice) - Banana Milk shake.

Banana ice cream is healthy and versatile too! It's great for hot summer days or to just snack on.

Now... go free something and eat it! yum yum yum num yum yum yum!


4 comments:

  1. This is just another entry in the long list of things you can do with a banana that's awesome.

    I just happen to have some bananas in my kitchen right now. And, wait...I have a freezer too! Looks like I just found a good use for those bananas. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I love that its a guilt free snack - very, very, very much. lol. I'm a sugar addict. Seriously. I have to avoid it like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know what you mean. I have a major sweet tooth as well.

    You probably do a better job of resisting sugar than I do though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perks of being a vegan I suppose... that said, you can still eat junk as a vegan (oreos are vegan so are twinkies) - over all it helps that all those things make me terribly sick! lol. See, there IS a bright side!

    ReplyDelete