Sunday, October 21, 2012

Planning - Day 5



I took this yesterday on the Venice Canals in Venice, California. I've been there a few times before, but yesterday my husband walked me up and down the canals showing me different homes as we daydreamed about one day owning one. The Canals are simply, beautiful. There used to be twice as many of them, but with progress and a lack of understanding, years ago the city filled in some of them and not they are simply oddly shaped roads just east of Venice Beach.

We rarely get out alone, so yesterday was special because my parents took our son to the zoo and we walked and walked and walked. If you are a people watcher and need a place to refill your people watching jar, go to Venice Beach. It's worth it every time.

I've heard people say, and had others comment directly to me, "Venice Beach is wonderful, but you could never raise a kid there." And I have to disagree - all that is crazy and weird, all that is Venice Beach, are the very reasons why you should raise a kid there. It is bubble filled with something for everyone - music, drama, pot, art, dancing, ocean, surfing, skating and words. For me, it is what dreams are made of, and that is why my husband took me there for my birthday. (a few days early)

Last night we capped off the evening having long discussions about music, lyrics, writing, movements, and all of those people who have spoken for us throughout our lives. Joe Strummer, Morrissey, Kurt Cobain, John Lennon - poets who found themselves meshing two sides of art into one.

Days and nights like those are the moments I need to keep going. They are just as much planning for my little 30 yoga and my NaNoWritMo challenges as all of the other prep work I push on myself. Days and nights like those are the ones that remind me why I do what I do. They dust off all those reasons, the feeling in my gut, the wants and needs. It is the classroom, the magnify glass, the microscope peeling back the layers of "reality" that dampen my voice and amplify my doubts.

There is truth in yoga.
There is truth in writing.

There is truth in you.

If we can't be honest with ourselves, none of these challenges will help benefit us.
If we tell ourselves we can't do this and come up with some regurgitated reason; all those terrible comments from parental figures, teachers, bad friends, and exs that we thought we let go of, but in truth they sit just below the surface of our skin.

The truth will set you free.
It will allow you to sink deeper into poses.
It will open doors and windows, pushing your characters off cliffs just to see them soar. (because you know they can, and they truly will)

When planning something that is both physically and emotionally time consuming, you must recharge. Go inside yourself and ask why? Why are you doing this? What's the deeper truth?


You can glide down the canals.
Or you can pave them over.

All of those "things" we hide from are the very things that make us better at being who we really are. So instead of hiding behind everyone else's problems, or distracting yourself with too much TV, Politics, crap - take a day to walk around and remember who you are.

Every experience we've had and will have help us to grow and with that growth we can move deeper inside ourselves.

I think the biggest lesson I have ever with yoga and writing is this - practice both of these for yourself. Never assume you will be able to do this:

Anya Porter

Never assume you will have this:

J.K. Rowling's House

Master this:
 
Tadasana (Mountain Pose) Seane Corn 

And accept what you have for what it is. The happiness you get out of that will be the greatest success you've ever know. 

“Things work out best for those who make the best of how things work out.” John Wooden



No comments:

Post a Comment