Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 3 - Yoga/Writing November!

I'm on this day:

Isn't that nubmer exciting? Yes. The answer is yes.

I missed day 2, on here, but I kept up with it out there - a.k.a. the real world. But since it IS the real world, that means there will be curve balls, right hooks, and vomit when you expect it the least. My husband was sick Friday to Saturday, and our computer sits neatly in our bed room on a worn, miss-assembled, desk from target. I wanted to blog yesterday, but thought it would be utterly rude if I did so.

But today he's better, so today I blog! (yoga and write my nano stuff)

Starting with NaNoWriMo - You can check my progress here. Do I have my synopsis up yet? Nope. Do I have an image? Nope. Do I have a small snippet for you to read. No-e, no-e, no-e, nope. What do I have? Over 18k words so far and counting.

I WILL CONQUER!

That said, I will try to get up a synopsis at some point, but only after I have my daily word count of 1500 words. After that, every thing is just gravy. And if you know me, you know I love gravy.

Back to writing. As you know, the best way to keep writing is to keep reading. Read, write - write, read. Last night I finished Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird" and I'm now recommending it to you. I'm recommending it as a writer, as a yogi, as a mother and as a human being. It's a wonderful book that explores the world of words, emotions, truth and life.

May years ago, when I worked at Borders Books and Music, I shelved the Computer and Language/Writing sections (and science for a bit too). I remember when Bird by Bird came out in paper back, and I also remember looking it over and thinking, "I don't need any stinking books about writing! They're all a scam! Blah!" Obviously I was not at a point in my life, writing or otherwise, to accept one of the best ways to improve yourself is to look inside yourself and not be afraid to ask/look for help outside.

You can learn something new from every person you meet - via book or in the real world. Maybe you'll learn how to bake the best damn apple pie you've ever had, or how to love honestly. And at the same time, maybe you'll learn exactly who you never want to be, but you'll learn, and learning is growth - growth is change - change is good. From Anne Lamott, I learned about honesty and truth. You have to be very brave to live like that. I think I'm ready to be brave, or braver than I am now. (Let's face it, we could all use a little work in the bravery department.) I also learned I really need to start writing the word "ok" out like this, "Okay" and that I've been doing it wrong for years. :)

Tonight I'm starting "Just Kids" by Patti Smith. This will be an exploration into the world of memoir writing for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is your daily dose of writer inspiration:

“For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.” 
~Anne Lamott

This brings us to the 30 Day Yoga Challenge portion of this post.

This is not me. Not that you thought it was, but I wanted to clarify. Not me. 

As you may image, Day 2 was a bit tricky for me. I only managed to squeeze in a 20-30 minute class last night before showering, writing, reading and sleeping. Since Thursday night I decided it was a good idea to stay up till midnight watching recorded episodes of Call the Midwife on PBS, I'm a PBS / BBC America junkie, I was very, very tired yesterday.

So Friday was a bit of a bear. I only had a meager 5 hours of sleep, on the sofa, and by noon my throat hurt and I became paranoid I'd be sick today - which I am not. A-freaking-men.

Yesterdays yoga routine was the PM portion of the AM/PM Yoga with Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden, after which I added some Shoulder Stand/Plow Pose, Supported Bridge Pose, Fish Pose, Tripod Head Stand and finally a little savasana. It wasn't much, but I didn't just NOT do it because life was a bit hairy, which mad me happy with myself. 

I WILL CONQUER! 

See. That applies all over my life!

Today I found a sequence for legs, hips and lower back. I've had issues with my hips for many years. It seems a car accident I was in when I was 13 messed up the alignment of my spine and my hips. I have since had it readjusted, but life is life and we all stand weird, some with our knees locked, others with our hips jutting to one side or the other. All of this throws our body out of alignment

Yoga can help, but a great body worker can help even more. The one I love lives in NYC, seeing I'm in L.A., that means I haven't seen her in years - but I love her nontheless. 

I was going to embed the video on here... but alas... Do Yoga With Me disabled the embedding feature, so if you want to check it out - follow this link. It's worth it. My hip feels much better now than it did this morning. I also will recommend DoYogaWithMe.com, even if they won't let me post their videos on this here blog. They have a lot of wonderful, FREE, yoga classes for you to check out. So CHECK THEM OUT!!

And with that! I will say - I'm doing great and feel the yoga is working in all the right ways. I've been journaling, outside of blogging, and that's been great too. I haven't felt nearly as angry as in the past few months - and that's one of my goals. 

I hope you're reaching your goals to. Be it yoga, or writing or keeping the upkeep of your blog (you know who you are) - I wish you all the luck in the world. 

Here is your daily does of yogi inspiration:

I offer you peace. I offer you love. I offer you friendship. I see your beauty. I hear your need. I feel your feelings. My wisdom flows from the Highest Source. I salute that Source in you. Let us work together for unity and love.” 
~ Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment