Friday, December 14, 2012

'Tis the season!

'Tis the season.

When I was a child, Christmas was the most amazing and most difficult time of year - all those presents sitting under the tree, and not allowed to touch them till the 24th... torture. There were a thousand other things happening, but my mind my was caught in a tractor beam, and it leads to boxes of all shapes and sizes wrapped in colorful paper, trimmed with bows, and inside there were dreams, adventures, and sometimes clothing (ick!).

As an adult, establishing my own family Christmas traditions, I find my mind floating back, desperately trying to remember those other thousand things that happened. I remember: cookie baking, a candle lit Christmas Eve where we sang carols, pasta (pasta and more pasta), meeting up with family and friends (which rocked because it meant more toys!). With each day I remember more, like how we opened the gifts from our parents and grandma (who lived with us) on Christmas Eve, and then, on Christmas DAY, we opened everything from Santa (that I'm pretty sure we didn't really deserve, naughty list and all...). I also remember midnight mass, and getting yelled at because I suggested our Parish should hire someone to be like cigarette girls who would walk the aisles with trays filled with life saving mana and chips of salvation. (It was for all those C&E Christians - Christmas & Easter - people who only showed up on said holidays. At the time I was a good little girl and went each Sunday, now the C&E's have be beat by leaps and bounds).

As a child, Christmas was important because it was family, and Santa, and Toys (of course.)
In my teens, Christmas was important because it was family, and gifts, and a school break that allowed me to go to the movies and hang out with my friends.
In my twenties, Christmas was important because of gifts, and I got to go drink a lot with my friends.

And now in my thirties, Christmas is important because of family, tradition, my son - his toys - Santa, and even more family.

What I take from all these Christmas', traditions, and memories, is what I want to give my son - every day. I want him to enjoy the excitement of gifts, and the pure joy of love. That's what this is all supposed to be about, isn't it? We get to show an emotion we may have problems expressing on other days. We are allowed to express it with gifts, food, and drinks - we are permitted to show those around us that, yes, we do care.

So I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah, a Happy Kwanzaa and a Happy Winter Solstice. We may not celebrate exactly the same way, but that doesn't mean I want you to enjoy any less. Let all that other stuff that gets in the way, slip away, and love those you love.

Hugs from me to you!
xxoo
Aryn

No comments:

Post a Comment