Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Old-Fashioned Vegan Fig Newtons


You know you love them, fig newtons I mean - but then you go and read the ingredients label and realize that they're about as good for you as eating plastic - so you pass. (Seriously, you should pass)
But I have a recipe for you, which will bring the fig newtons back into your life.

Also, I was bored the other day, and really had a hankering for some cookies, but wanted to skip the gold old sugar cookies I eat WAY too much. On top of which, I have a few bags of dried figs (don't ask) in my pantry, and figured it was time to make them into something I would actually eat, rather than attempting to convince myself that, at some point, I would "snack" on them.

No I won't.
That's not the kind of snacker I am.
I'm a hummus kinda snacker. I'm a woman who like to dip things. (don't be a perv, or be a perv - embrace it. enjoy it)

So this is what I came up with.



What you will need:

For the Dough -
 3 Cup Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Florida Crystals, or your vegan sugar of choice
1/2 tsp salt - I like kosher, but that's just how I roll
3/4 tsp baking powder
between 3/4 to 1 tsp baking soda (my oven is old, and some days I need to adjust my soda additions due to it)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
12 TBSP Earth Balance, or vegan butter of choice - Room Temp
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Organic Apple Sauce

For the Filling -
2 Cups figs - you can use fresh if you'd like, as previously stated, I used dried
1 Medium Orange
1 inch of the Orange peel
1 Medium sized Apple
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 TBSP Florida Crystals
2 TBSP water


In a bowl mix Flour, Sugar, Salt, Baking Powder, Baking Soda & Cinnamon. Mix well prior to adding Earth Balance and Apple Sauce. Mix until a ball of dough forms. Kneed for a minute or two, cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours (or over night - I barely made it two hours. That's what happens when you bake on cravings... )

Once your dough is chillin'

In a food processor - peel and core the apple, toss it in. Peel orange, toss that into food processor with the inch of peel you saved, Figs, Sugar, Cinnamon and water. Process until it becomes smooth, not SUPER smooth, but a nice spreadable consistency and the orange peel isn't a big lump.

Transfer to a container with a lid and pop that in the fridge too. You want to let it sit for the two hours because you want to let the flavors meld. Most Fig Cookie recipes tell you to cook the filling, then puree it, before putting it in the cookies - I'm avoiding this, because you're ALREADY going to cook the center when you bake them. Why do it twice? This way you're going to get some of the vitamins and minerals that are in the figs, apple and orange when you eat the cookies.

-Two Hours Later-

Preheat oven to 375* - and get out your cookie sheets. Either line with parchment paper, or grease the sheets.
Cut the dough into sections and begin rolling. You want the dough to be about 1/8" thick, 2" wide and 10" long. So roll them out, and cut them to size. You'll need 2 identical sides to make the cookies. Dollop the fig filling down the center of one strip, dampen the edges of both the bottom fig covered strip, and the second strip of dough that will be on top. Then press the top dough into the bottom, pinching to be sure they stay closed. Place on cookie sheet - repeat.

Brush each cookie log with a bit of Earth Balance, and back for 16 minutes. (I like to rotate the sheets at the 1/2 way mark). Allow to cool, and then cut into individual cookies.

They're yummy, make great snacks for at home or a work/school lunch and they're a lot lower in calorie then the traditional butter/egg version. Let me know what you think! And most of all, enjoy!!

aryn


2 comments:

  1. I've always been a huge fan of Fig Newtons, and I must say that those look quite yummy.

    I will have to keep this recipe in mind. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome!! We've made a bunch of changes to our diet recently, and it got me to thinking, I should start posting these things, because if it helps us, maybe it helps someone else too. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete