Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bella - by Steve Piacente **Review**


click here to order
"A striking widow intent on proving the military lied about her husband's death lures a Washington journalist into the investigation. Working together, they discover the power of temptation, the futility of revenge, and the consequences of yielding to either."

I met Steve Piacente on Twitter a while back, and we got to talking about Unicorns and Rainbows. Two things I love, very much, and turns out - he does two. He DM'd me this line, "Still, I remembered the way she asked about a couple being together a long time, as an eight-year-old might ask of Pegasus." I asked what it was from, and he said, "Bella." 

The summary above is from GoodReads - I wanted to give you a general idea as to what the book is about, prior to my review. And who better to explain it to you, than the author? 

A couple things you should know about me before the review - First, I don't normally read books that are war related (at least not fictional). And second, I have a tendency to avoid almost all things both 9/11, and the war that ensued afters. (I still care, I just don't like to discuss.) 

Now that I got that over what, what did I think of Steve Piacente's "Bella"? I really liked it, very much. I'm happy to have read it, and I'm looking forward to reading his next book, "Bootlicker". (I'll post that review in a week or two.)

"Bella" is the story of a young war widow, and her quest to find out the truth about her husbands death. It explores the other side of the military - the side that stays home with the kids, and the house, and everything else - waiting for the day their loved ones come home, hopefully, in one piece. And what happens to those people what their loved ones don't come home, at all.

Set in the not to distant past, surrounding the whirlwind of emotions and events that transpired after September 11th, "Bella" speaks volumes about what we are allowed to see, and what is kept from us, under the guise of patriotism.

Bella is available in both digital and paperback, and can be purchased online at Amazon.com, Barnes and Nobel, and at Steve Piacente's website.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment