Monday, August 12, 2013

Pour Some Vegan on Me: Basic (awesome) Avocado Dip


Growing up, I love dairy. Wrap me in it. Dip me in it. I ate it daily. I ate it more than anything else on this planet (including pancakes). When I stopped eating dairy, namely sour cream and sour cream based dips, I also stopped eating potato chips, and other chips too. Why? They were the edible spoon for fantastic french onion ecstasy.

But at that time, I wasn't friends with the Avocado.

Avocados are a fruit - most commonly thought to be a vegetable. But like the tomato - you would be wrong to think that. Some call it "Nature's Butter", I don't have a nickname for it - just an undying love.

If you are doing the "vegan" thing - Avocados are your very best friend. Being vegan means you have a very (very) low fat diet. Now, as you do a silent dance that you don't have that "icky fat" in your life - our bodies actually need fat. Avocados have 25% of the daily fat needed in out diets to be healthy.

Other great things about this lovely fruit:

Hass Avodados can be found year round
High in vitamins C, B-6, and Magnesium
And gosh darn it - they're yummy.


This is the easiest dip you will ever make - and there are two ways to make it.

#1 - with a potato masher
#2 - with a food processor

You need - 

An Avocado - Sliced as seen above. Hit the pit with the blade of your knife, twist and pull it out. Use a spoon to scoop the meat into a bowl, or the bowl of your food processor.

You're favorite salsa - add around 1/4 cup salsa to the avocado and mash the two together (or turn on
the food processor and process until smooth)

This is what I use.


That's it! This recipe is great for football parties, snacking while you write or study, or to use as a condiment - like on top of a black bean burger. 

Let me know what you think!
Happy (vegan) eating. 

-Aryn 

No comments:

Post a Comment