Monday, September 2, 2013

Pour Some Vegan on Me - BBQ Black Beans with Tempeh Bacon


Happy Labor Day! A day dedicated to all you workers out there, and a little reminder that summer is now over... But let's not dwell on all that, let's talk food.


I've always been a fan of Baked Beans. Growing up we bought the kind where the bacon and fat sat on top. You dumped it all into a pan, heating it up and mixing it together just right. Needless to say, I don't go that route these days. Prior to the inception of this recipe I bought the Vegetarian Beans, but to be honest... *shrug*. I figure if I can make it home, then why aren't it? And if I can't make it at home, then I shouldn't be eating it in the first place!

This is my interpretation of that fatty can of Pork 'n Beans from back in the day: BBQ Black Beans with Tempeh Bacon.

What you will need:

1 can of Black Beans (or the equivalent of dried, hydrated)
1/2 bottle of Vegan Friendly BBQ Sauce (Trader Joe's has a nice spicy variety)
4 slices Tempeh Bacon - chopped
1 small onion - chopped
1 Cup Vegan Broth
Olive Oil

Let's begin:

Put about 2 tablespoon of Olive Oil in to your sauce pan (I use a sauce pan "a.k.a. Stock Pot" - add the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat until they begin to turn translucent. Add Tempeh Bacon, and mixed it all around. Let it cook for another couple of minute, and add the beans.


The onions will be a little brown, which is find, and delicious. Mix it up and then let it sit for a minute or two so the beans soak up some of the lovely onion bacon flavor. Then add the 1 Cup Broth and 1/2 bottle of favorite Vegan BBQ sauce.


It will look like a weird Black Bean soup. Stir and walk away - keep an eye on it, but let it begin to boil and start to cook down.



All nice and steamy, it will begin to condense bringing all those flavors together. This will take about 5 -10 minutes. And then you will have...


A delicious variety of not really Baked Beans for you and all of your friends to enjoy. Trust me when I say, all you meat eaters won't miss the meat even a little.

Have a wonderful holiday, and happy eating!!

-Aryn

No comments:

Post a Comment